• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Undercarriage Refresh

Country flag
Some (many? all?) OEW/black 100M chassis--most of the Ms were OEW/black--chassis' were painted black from the scuttle forward. I believe our M was painted like this, as the engine compartment was black, and I now wish we'd done it that way for the reasons mentioned.

102-0232_IMG.jpg

OP
M

matt-pz

Freshman Member
There's an unbelievable amount of dirt thanks to leaks. I've been scraping the dirt off with a putty knife then cleaning off with brake cleaner. It's a huge mess, but I think it will look great when I'm done.

Should I do a final pass with soapy water before painting? And no it's not an original CT car : )

Last edited:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
This worked well for me when I redid my engine compartment last summer:
Spray with kerosene, work with bristle brush. Spray with Scrubbing Bubbles. Wash off with pressure washer. Repeat as necessary.

Kerosene seems to have the ability to leach the grease and oil out of old crud, leaving water-soluble dirt in its place.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Matt,

I trust you will be doing your cleaning when it gets a little warmer and after the snow storms move up the cost this week. Although I have used Kerosene as Steve suggests and not tried Steve's Scrubbing Bubbles chaser, I did use Dawn Dish Detergent to follow any chosen Gas-type heavy gunk cutter to assure the paint would stick ... everywhere. The main thing I have found is to have everything dry before spraying paint.

Good Luck,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

sparkelbry

Freshman Member
Country flag
All the advice and recommendations are well taken . . . but I think what ever the process or color may be, the final outcome needs to look fresh, clean and neat. No over sprays, drips drags or rust. The dominant background may be (white, black, blue, pink . . . or you name it) it's the details that count :smile:!