• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Under the been there - done that school of learning: TR6 rear springs on a TR4a

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi guys - hope everyone has had a good summer.

I thought I'd pass along some lessons learned from putting TR6 springs on my '67 TR4a IRA. I did this and am not a fan - the idea was to stiffen up the rear suspension but it worked too well. The TR6 springs have made the car bouncy and I think actual detracted from the handling and certainly day-to-day driving.

May just be my car, but the OEM springs are going back on.

You mileage may vary....

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I ran TR6 rear springs on my 4A for years before I switched to GoodParts springs all around. Never an issue with the TR6 springs. Where did you get the TR6 springs? Reason I ask is there are some "Competition" rear springs around that are way too stiff and just plan wrong for the cars. The rear wheels end up with excessive positive camber and the back end jacked up. Might you have gotten ahold of those and if so they were really wrong for a 6 as well as a 4A.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have a nice set of used low mileage original springs for TR6, let me know if you're interested.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
What kind of shape are your dampers? If they are worn out or just don't have sufficient damping capability stiffer springs will just wind up in a bouncy ride as the spring rate is overcoming the capability of the dampers to smooth out the ride.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi guys. Keith, thanks for the offer. These are easy to swap so let me put the original 4a springs on and see how she does. She only has ~60k miles on her so they may be OK still.

Tybalt - good thought, in this case they are rebuilt units from NOS so they should be OK. They are too stiff rather than too bouncy, if that makes sense. It is a lack of compliance rather than too much... Good thing to keep in mind however. Thanks.

TR4eh

I'm dealing with the elevated rear/excessive positive camber issue. 1.5" too high and +3 camber on both sides. The car is on TRF springs purchased several years ago that are supposed be stock grade IIRC. From the posts I've read I need to look for some different springs.

For those on Goodparts springs, is the ride stiff(er), like you are sledding on a 4" thick board instead of a 2" thick board? Any other suppliers whose springs have proven to give correct ride height?

Thanks much,

Cliff

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yep you got the bad springs. Find a set of used TR6 Springs or you can go with the GoodParts springs and shim to original height. I use GoodParts on my 4A and frankly don't notice much of a difference in ride. If ride is important get the TR6 springs.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
GoodParts sells the shims and they insert between the spring and the spring seat. Basically an aluminum disc of a certain height. https://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?categoryID=15 shows the shims.

Ah - a spacer.

Rear%20Spacers%200.5_enl.JPG

Back on the same page now.

Thanks

TR4eh

Yep you got the bad springs. Find a set of used TR6 Springs or you can go with the GoodParts springs and shim to original height. I use GoodParts on my 4A and frankly don't notice much of a difference in ride. If ride is important get the TR6 springs.

Jerry,

Thanks. I'll be returning the current set and looking for used. If you know anybody who may have a set...

Cliff