• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

turned 90 today.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That's right. It was another almost insignificant mile just like many others along FM (Texas Farm to Market) road #149 on the back way to Conroe. Cruising along at 60mph I looked down to see the odometer 'click' from 89999 to 90000 miles. The sun was out, the breeze was blowing my hair and the only sound was the purr of my 1974 TR6 -running strong -better than new.

I was thinking maintenance intervals ended at 90K, but my handbook seems to show nothing after 48k (aside from the weekly and monthly items). How long will it go?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No reason it shouldn't go on forever, with suitable maintenance of course.

I don't know exactly how many miles were on my TR3A when it got totaled, but it had to be over 300,000. The odo had already rolled over at least once when I got it, and twice while I owned it. Even allowing for it being a 4.10 speedo in a 3.7 car, that's a lotta miles.

Can't think what it is offhand, but there is something on a TR3 that is supposed to be serviced every 100,000 miles :laugh:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I'm jealous because you can drive it today (it's snowing here...again) and that you have hair (obviously, I have snow, but not much hair).

Congratulations!!

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Brosky said:
I'm jealous

Don't be. All you-all northers don't realize that just because we almost never get snow, doesn't mean we can always drive our TRs. We have two seasons we can drive, spring and fall. Sure there are days in the winter and summer we can drive too, but summer is brutal. Driving during the day in summer is like... heck. Sunscreen will delay some effects for a short period of time, but you really need a sun shield -and/or heat shield. The sun is ridiculous.

-I'm enjoying the height of our driving season. I am not envious of your snow and my hair is nothing to be jealous about.

All in all, I'm happy with where I'm at, with what I got, and know you are too.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
The speedometer on my 1958 TR3A reads as shown + 100,000 miles for a total of 185,442. Well really it should read higher than that. When I bought my TR3A brand new, it came with a 3 months or 3,000 miles warrantee (whichever came first). Well, I drove it 2950 miles in the first month and then disconnected the speedo cable for another 2 months so it would stay below 3,000 miles. Then I took it back to the dealer for the usual check-up.

That's the only dealer work that was done on the car in 53 years.

Being the son of a Scotsman, I learned how to do everything on this car by myself, by reading books and by listening to the TR2 and TR3 owners who had the experience and expertise.

So with the ralies I did with the speedo cable un-fastened and connected to my Halda Speedpilot and Tripmaster from 1959 to 1965, I would guess that it should read about (or higher than) 200,000 miles.

Attachments

• 24715.jpg
    24715.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 93