• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Triumph Trans-America Charity Drive Up-date

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Triumph Trans-America Charity Drive Update

Been a while since it's been posted, but the latest news is the STAG LIVES!!!

YES! IT LIVES!!!!

Yesterday the Stag took its first drive! The launch is just a few short weeks away. Check out the website and Youtube drive here , and be sure to catch John if he comes through your town. The route is also on the website.

Remember, this is a fund raiser for work with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, a problem we've only just now begun to understand and address.

Mickey

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Re: Triumph Trans-America Charity Drive Update

I have always loved the look and sound of a Stag, a beautiful car.

That is one ambitious, circuitous route through the US. I don't know much about the roads in the east, but I can't figure out why anyone, on God's somewhat paved over green earth, would want to drive the northern part of I5 in a LBC.

Looks like we will head up to Regina to see the cars. The wife will insist on going to Dog River for gas and lunch. :jester:

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag

And Dallas in August is no walk in the park either!

Randy

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior

TRMark said:
Looks like we will head up to Regina to see the cars. The wife will insist on going to Dog River for gas and lunch. :jester:

Lunching at the Ruby Mark? :smile:

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Stag in person. I'm privileged that John will be spending the night with us on hisway to Chicago.

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

TRMark said:
I have always loved the look and sound of a Stag, a beautiful car.

but I can't figure out why anyone, on God's somewhat paved over green earth, would want to drive the northern part of I5 in a LBC.

TRMark,

Remember, this route is 'approximate' to get to each host club. It is not cast in the concrete super slab in any way.

The route was laid out in MicroSoft Streets and Trips, and will be changing.

It is planned for John to have a GPS tracker that will show his location as he drives the route, and will record the actual mileage.

The exact detail routes are up to the local clubs that are greeting and caravaning with John. This way the local club members know the roads, they know the traffic patterns and areas to avoid.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior

Um, you might want to double check the website.

Apparently, yesterday, the 24th, the gearbox literally dumped it's guts out on the road. That must've been sphincter puckering exciting, followed by a heart in mouth "now what".

It'll be a all hands on deck thrash to get that fixed before departure.

It looks to me like the gearbox somehow tried to do the two gears at once thing and locked up.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

YOWCH!!

Good thing there's still some time before launch...

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

gearboxfailure.jpg

recoveredparts.jpg

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

71MKIV said:
Um, you might want to double check the website.

Apparently, yesterday, the 24th, the gearbox literally dumped it's guts out on the road. That must've been sphincter puckering exciting, followed by a heart in mouth "now what".

It'll be a all hands on deck thrash to get that fixed before departure.

It looks to me like the gearbox somehow tried to do the two gears at once thing and locked up.

Hello All:

It appears the transmission was the source of the failure, not the OD. Why will remain a mystery, maybe the source of a tech session at Triumphest/VTR in SLO?

On the STTAG catastrophic transmission failure front, here is the latest that has taken place in just the past 4 short days:

1. Through the generosity of Duncan Wood of Red River Triumph Club, a replacement transmission has been sourced free of charges and shipped overnight FedEx - Thank you Duncan of Red River Triumph Club!!!!;
2. I have shipped today from my own Stag parts planned for my own Stag a complete J type OD with adapter plate, OD top cover, 3rd/4th gear shift rod and OD main shaft - free of charge, shipped overnight FedEx;
3. Through the generosity of John Esposito at Quantum Mechanics, a full Stag transmission rebuild kit and J type OD rebuild kit have been shipped overnight FedEx, free of charge. Thank you John Esposito of Quantum Mechanics;
4. Through the generosity of Steve Yott - ISOA member, owner/operator of the "Silver Lake High Performance Racing" facility (grin) and builder of the STTAG engine, Express FedEx charges for the transmission and OD shipping were covered by Steve Yott. Thank you Steve Yott of ISOA!!!;
5. Through the sheer substantial high quality construction of the Bell Silencers UK Exhaust system, that incidentally probably saved the lives of the occupants of the STTAG by keeping the drive shaft from plowing into the pavement and pole vaulting in cartwheel fashion at 65 MPH, Bell has agreed to replace and ship a new system for the STTAG. This should arrive at ISOA next week. Thank you Matthew at Bell Silencers UK!!

As a personal endorsement, I have a full Bell system on my Emerald Green Stag. It has been off and on at least a dozen times to access other components tucked up under the exhaust, fits perfectly, on/off in 10 minutes, does not leak, and sounds exquisite! So if you want a Bell Silencers UK system, THE BEST exhaust you can buy for your Triumph, ask for it by name! Authorized Suppliers in the UK are TSSC, aka the Triumph Sports Six Club UK. In the USA, the authorized supplier is SNG Barratt in Manchester New Hampshire but you may have to ask / BEG them to put your system on order and ship in their next container load of Jaguar Parts from the UK. Or, just buy it directly from TSSC in the UK - proud supporters of the TTA 2009 Charity Drive!!

Finally through the excellent work of all the ISOA folks and their spouses who donated their valuable weekends over the last 14 months and who will be laboring additional hours in an upcoming transmission and OD clinic to get the transmission and OD torn apart, cleaned, inspected, measured, reinspected, reassembled and tested (and then probably repeated by Joe just to make 1000% sure), a completely rebuilt Stag transmission and OD will be installed very soon. Thank you all very much!

I have changed my travel plans to be up in Illinois and do a long work weekend 5 June through 8 June and give these folks a little rest.

Thank you all for this quick response, sincere dedication and hard work on this project and all the support for the Triumph Trans America 2009 Charity Drive.

More good things to come!

Glenn Merrell
TTA North American Coordinator

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

thanks for the update, Glenn.

What a fantastic effort this has been! Folks, if you are ANYwhere near the route, please rally the troops and come out to support John and the drive. And, of course, donate to the cause!

Mickey

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Mickey Richaud said:
thanks for the update, Glenn.

What a fantastic effort this has been! Folks, if you are ANYwhere near the route, please rally the troops and come out to support John and the drive. And, of course, donate to the cause!

Mickey

It is really humbling to see all this dedication and support from these fine folks and clubs. :cry:

Sort of renews my faith in Triumph owners :banana:

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

But wait ... there is MORE!! You can not write better fact than this!!

So the transmission gets shipped to ISOA by Duncan Wood, The rebuild kits from John Esposito of Quantum Mechanics, the OD setup is shipped by me.

Everything arrives overnighted, today. :banana:

OhOh ... There is a mouse hole in the top side of my OD box ... and
the OD Mainshaft is gone!! OH NO!!! :cry:

After several frantic phone calls, The kind and lovely Susan Berkowitz of Victoria British saves the day, having the mainshaft, pump cam and necessary clips IN STOCK, and DONATES the parts to the STTAG and send them out FedEx overnight Saturday Delivery !!!!
:bow:

Now THAT is what I call CUSTOMER SERVICE from Victoria British!!

Everyone, expect that if you are anywhere along the drive route where John is stopping, you will have a Victoria British brochure placed into your hand by John Macartney himself.

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

tdskip said:
Wow - that is great to hear Glenn.

But wait, there is MORE ...

:savewave:

Triumph Trans America Drive,
"Stand and be counted for Uncle Jack"!!

So, are you a Friend of Triumph, Triumph enthusiast, or one of the believers in this Trans American Charity Drive and cause, waiting to see Uncle Jack hit the highway in Florida and finish in San Luis Obispo? Want to prove the nay sayers WRONG!!! :yesnod:

The way points and stopovers of this route are pretty much defined, one or two may be added. However the routes in between each host club are wide open and up to the host clubs to decide for John. These clubs should be talking with each neighbor host club for meeting with John at the midpoint between their club and the departing host club, and caravaning with John to the midpoint toward the next host club. One car or two hundred, bring them all :driving: to meet John from the previous club and see him off to the next club. Contact your Governor, local media and let them know what this drive is all about.

I know times are tough for all of us, but this drive needs ALL of our help to arrive safely at Triumphest / NATC 2009 in San Luis Obispo. John Macartney has invested a huge amount of his own personal funds to make this drive and provide necessary parts for the STTAG.

ISOA has invested a bunch of time and money into this restoration taking the full restoration on themselves. ISOA for one could sure use your support. Send them a few bucks and and tell them "thank you for your hard work over the past 14 months!" [https://www.snic-braaapp.org/iapply.pdf]

Please become informed about the host clubs along John's route, talk to John at one of the stop overs and put some cash in his hand and say "Thank you John Macartney for promoting awareness for this terrible affliction - PTSD" and visit [https://www.triumphtransamerica.org.uk/]
and stay updated with regular emails - sign up at [https://triumphtransamerica.org.uk/...trans-americainfo_triumphtransamerica.org.uk]

Caravan along with the STTAG, pick up a meal or a tank of gas for John, or send in a charitable donation of your own directly to one of the selected PTSD / Trauma charities or organizations.

Get your local club involved in identifying your own local PTSD charity and aid organizations, and VA hospitals.

DO IT!!

See you in Florida, all along the routes, and San Luis Obispo for Triumphest / NATC 2009!!

--
Glenn A. Merrell
Triumph Trans-America Charity Drive 2009 <https://www.triumphtransamerica.org.uk/>
The best trophies are miles on the odometer, stone chips in the paint, dead bugs on the windshield, and the occasional smell of manure!

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

All I can add to this is: "Shame on you if you DON'T take the opportunity to support this fantastic effort!"

I can't wait 'til John and "Uncle Jack" hit the Kentucky/Tennessee border on I-65!

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Mickey Richaud said:
All I can add to this is: "Shame on you if you DON'T take the opportunity to support this fantastic effort!"

I can't wait 'til John and "Uncle Jack" hit the Kentucky/Tennessee border on I-65!

:driving: Uncle Jack is ... BACK!!!, makes the unofficial unveiling debut in Illinois ON TIME, Sunday 31 May 2009 to over 100 people attending!

:thumbsup:

Full writeup on the TTA website https://triumphtransamerica.org.uk/?p=269

Next stop, Holly Hill Florida!! :banana:

Cheers!

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Triumph Trans America 2009 Charity Drive kickoff!

Mickey Richaud said:

<span style="color: #006600"><span style="font-weight: bold">It is TIME for the Triumph Trans America 2009 Charity Drive kickoff!
</span></span>

Hello All,

The TTA drive kicks off this coming Saturday 27 June 2009 at GrassRoots Motorsports offices in Holly Hill Florida, 9-11 am.
Check for directions at [classicmotorsports.net]

I will be there to make sure Joe Pawlak and the STTAG transport crew lets go of the keys ...

Also, keep up-to-date on the destinations and progress for the drive on the TTA web site
[triumphtransamerica.org.uk]
or sign up for the email list at
[triumphtransamerica.org.uk] for daily updates.

I'll be setting up a Twitter link soon so you can get on the spot updates from folks along the route.

Look for notices for video links on You-Tube. If you take a video of John and the STTAG in your local area, please upload the video and or photo shoot to You-Tube, and title the video with "TTA 2009 Charity Drive" followed by your town/City/club name & Date. Something like -
"TTA 2009 Charity Drive - Climbs Pikes Peak w/ Colorado Northern British Car Club 22 Aug 2009"
Remember to add a video of each hand off between your clubs with your club banners displayed!

Thanks!

Cheers!
Glenn Merrell

Glenn A. Merrell
TriumphStag dot Net administrator
Colorado, USA
Chairman TSC USA (2007-2009)
TSC USA President (2001-2007)
"The BEST trophies are miles on the odometer, stone chips in the paint, dead bugs on the windshield." 8)

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Re: Triumph Trans America 2009 Charity Drive kickoff!

This is the most exciting thing happening currently, regardless of the British marque you prefer! PLEASE support this endeavor in whatever way you can. It doesn't matter whether it's a Triumph, or an MG, or an Austin Healey, or a Jag - whatever! The point is that there is a fantastic cause being promoted here, and the central figure happens to be a British sports car.

Get out and greet John when he comes to your area. And, by all means, contribute to this most worthy cause!

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Re: Triumph Trans America 2009 Charity Drive kickoff!

Here's the latest - "Uncle Jack" took 1st in class!

TTACD Update