• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Triumph tr3 vertical link wobble

banjojambo

Freshman Member
Is it common for the vertical link to be slightly bent ? I put mine on a lathe and it looked to be out by at least 3/8 of an inch . The car was wrecked long before I got it the front end had a bad shake in it so I tore down the driver side and found one of the lower wishbones bent and the trunnion hole is slightly oval . I took the vertical link to a local machine shop they put in into a lathe and its definitely not straight . I was reading in another forum where someone posted and said they had been through a bunch of vertical links before they found a straight one

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
This may be the thread you are referring to:

If you mount the threaded end of the vertical link in a drill press or lathe and the tapered hole for the upper ball joint post wobbles as you spin it, then your vertical link is bent and your steering will bind. The TR trunnions do not have the ability to compensate for a bent link...they do not articulate in the fore/aft direction. If you use a bent link the steering will bind, the trunnion will wear and, severe cases, the end of the vertical link will snap off. I would not use a link with more than about .050" of total runout, or "wobble".

OP
banjojambo

banjojambo

Freshman Member
Thank you
! This may be the thread you are referring to:

If you mount the threaded end of the vertical link in a drill press or lathe and the tapered hole for the upper ball joint post wobbles as you spin it, then your vertical link is bent and your steering will bind. The TR trunnions do not have the ability to compensate for a bent link...they do not articulate in the fore/aft direction. If you use a bent link the steering will bind, the trunnion will wear and, severe cases, the end of the vertical link will snap off. I would not use a link with more than about .050" of total runout, or "wobble".

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G For Sale: Triumph TR2, TR3, TR3A Sheet Metal Body Parts – Front Apron (valence) with grille, Bonnet (hood), Doors, Boot (trunk) Deck Lid Triumph Classifieds 3
G For Sale: Triumph TR2, TR3, TR3A, TR3B Factory Steel Hardtop, New Rear window, Partial Bracket Set Triumph Classifieds 2
D 1957 Triumph Tr3 Triumph Classifieds 2
J For Sale Triumph TR2 TR3 TR3A New Moss Motors Black Karvel Style Carpet Kit Triumph Classifieds 0
K For Sale Triumph TR3 Bullnose Starter Triumph Classifieds 0
S For Sale Triumph TR2/TR3/TR3A/TR3B Workshop on CCD/ROMManual – 1953 - 1962 Models Triumph Classifieds 0
J TR2/3/3A Triumph TR3 cam shaft measurement Triumph 2
J Wanted Re: WANTED TO BUY: TRIUMPH TR3 ASH TRAY PULL KNOB Triumph Classifieds 1
K For Sale Triumph TR3 Blanking Plate Triumph Classifieds 1
B For Sale Triumph Tr3 Fuel gauge Temp gauge Oil pressure gauge, speedometer tachometer Triumph Classifieds 0
J For Sale Triumph TR3 rear differential and rear brake assembly - Northern Illinois Triumph Classifieds 1
S TR2/3/3A Triumph tr3 overdrive wiring Triumph 9
Kleykamp For Sale 1961 Triumph TR3 Triumph Classifieds 0
K For Sale Triumph TR3 Water Pumps for Rebuild Triumph Classifieds 0
S For Sale Triumph tr3 tr3a tr3b tr4 tr4a differential cover new old stock Triumph Classifieds 0
G For Sale Original Kastner "D" Camshaft for Triumph TR2 TR3 TR4 & Morgan +4, Like-Nu Orig. $420 Triumph Classifieds 1
J TR2/3/3A Fuel pump for a Triumph TR3 or 4? Triumph 2
arizonamike TR4/4A Collector's Originality Guide Triumph TR2 TR3 TR4 Triumph 1
H TR2/3/3A Triumph TR3 Hand crank alignment Triumph 21
Hap Waldrop TR6 New VTO15x6 in for the Triumph TR3-TR6 Triumph 25
K TR2/3/3A TR3 Chrome TRIUMPH emblem fit Triumph 7
T TR2/3/3A Triumph TR3 Windscreen Restoration Triumph 6
F TR2/3/3A Triumph TR3 and others Triumph 8
B TR2/3/3A Triumph TR3 Ebay Triumph 10
toysrrus TR6 `58 Triumph TR6 or TR3? "The Scammer is back"! Triumph 2
mine TR2/3/3A Pictures of Triumph tr3 from Mine Triumph 1
S TR2/3/3A Triumph TR3 Posters Triumph 8
J TR2/3/3A ROYZE Carburetor Kit SU963 Triumph TR3 Triumph 1
M TR2/3/3A TR3[FELLOW TRIUMPH OWNER]HELLO!! Triumph 0
B TR2/3/3A TRIUMPH TR3 FRANCORCHAMPS... for sale Triumph 6
C Spitfire 1967 Triumph Spitfire Triumph 2
tr6nitjulius General Tech 8/28/21 Sounds & Sights of TRIUMPH Triumph 2
E GT6 Triumph GT6 MKIII rear hatch springs Triumph 2
S TR6 Should I Buy This "73 Triumph TR6" Triumph 3
F For Sale Wheel Trim Rings Triumph TR6, $95.00 Triumph Classifieds 0
I Spitfire Triumph Spitfire 1500 refuses to awake after 10 year hibernation Triumph 5
D TR2/3/3A 1961 Triumph TR3a Triumph 17
Madflyer For Sale Triumph GT 6 parting out need something Triumph Classifieds 7
Sherlock Triumph TR6 (rather modified) Spotted 2
D TRIUMPH TR6 BODY SHELL Triumph Classifieds 0
Sherlock 1982 Ford F150 stepside vs 1975 Triumph TR7 Other Cars 4
lilifer_13 Spitfire New to BCF - New to Triumph ownership Triumph 10
SteveTheBrewer Spitfire Triumph Spitfire Restoration Blog Triumph 22
humanoid For Sale - Haynes Triumph TR7 (1975-1979) Owners Workshop Manual Triumph Classifieds 0
TomMull Free Triumph Herald Headboard Triumph Classifieds 0
D For Sale Triumph 2000 car badge UNUSED Triumph Classifieds 0
A 1958 Triumph 6T restored British Motorbikes 5
tr6nitjulius General TR Sounds & Sights of TRIUMPH Triumph 0
71TR6 Triumph TR4 Coventry Radiator with crank hole- recently refurbished Triumph Classifieds 0
J Wanted WTB Triumph TR6 Body/ Rolling Chassis Triumph Classifieds 0