• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tri Stromberg Heat Shield Coming This Spring/Summe

Trick6

Jedi Hopeful
Tri Stromberg User - Heat Shield

I am finishing the design/fabrication of a Heat Shield for Tri Stromberg applications. I was contributing to its design with another enthusiast who gave me his approval to continue.

I am doing one for myself. It is designed to work with either the mechanical linkage or cable linkage. Let me know if you are interested, it is just as easy to do a couple.

There might even be a choice of either/or aluminum/stainless steel. Pricing? No clue.

Here is a preview.
100_0604.jpg

100_0614.jpg

The mockup, being white does, not yield good definition in the photo, but it works like this. The Heat Shield mounts behind the filters, goes down to a floor panel under the carbs and up on an angle in front of the header. Let me know if you are interested. It is just as easy to do a couple, three or four or more as it is to do one.

swift6

Yoda
ARE was, maybe still is, making one very similar, identical in the way it mounts. It was designed to work with the stock linkage (modified for triple ZS's), took a little bit, very slight, modification to get it to work with the RATCO cable pull.

Painted the hot side white with ceramic paint, painted the carbs black with ceramic paint. After an hours drive the carbs are still cool to the touch. The shield is protecting them from an un-coated stainless steel unit.

Hard to see it in this photo but its there.

P6290001.jpg

OP
Trick6

Trick6

Jedi Hopeful
TR6BILL said:
I'm in, Al. Sign me up!

TR6Bill:

I am contacting ARE today to see theirs. I looked at their site and there was no mention of the Tri Stromberg Heat Shield. Does not mean that they don’t make it. I see one pictured and referenced so it must exist. If it is what I am looking for, why reinvent the wheel.

Will keep you posted.

swift6

Yoda
Al,

Mine was part of a "first run" batch. One of the first 6 they made, or so I was told. Don't know how well they went over. The only announcement to their production was on the 6-Pack mailing list. They may have made more, they might have felt there was not enough interest.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
NOW you tell me that you're doing this!!

Joe Alexander (ARE) developed his with Richard Good and RG will be selling them very soon. They are nearly ready for market, but no definitive answer on the Ratco linkage on these. I guess that I'll be the guinea pig on the first one for that setup.

After several discussions with Joe/Rich over the past three months, I just gave him my order yesterday. Great timing.

OP
Trick6

Trick6

Jedi Hopeful
Paul:

Thanks for the news. I was wondering why RG had not produced a heat shield. I have another idea on the shield that I have not seen yet. I guess I will wait to see what he comes up with.

What is your ETA?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I would think that I'll have mine n a few weeks.

If you remember, I found that the rear carb was 25 degrees hotter than the middle and front carbs this past fall and that is what prompted a conversation with Joe Alexander about the shields. He had mentioned that he was working on a new one for the trips back in August when we were talking about seat tracks, so I called him and got on the list back in November.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Re: Tri Stromberg Heat Shield Coming This Spring/S

Not the best picture, but the only one that I have at this time:

Attachments

• 15359.jpg
    15359.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 158
OP
Trick6

Trick6

Jedi Hopeful

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Not the best picture, but the only one that I have at this time:
[/QUOTE]

Paul:

That is a very nice looking heat shield, very similar to the dual carb ones I have seen. The one I am planning is different. I am going ahead with the plan to bang out one for show and tell.

Will keep you posted.

swift6

Yoda

That is the heat shield that I have on my car but I have had it since late last spring/early summer. I already had it painted up and installed by last August. Mine must have been part of a prototype run as I didn't pay ARE directly, instead the money all went through another chap on the 6-Pack mailing list, it does have an ARE engraving on it though. It wasn't set up for the Ratco cable but modifying it to fit was fairly easy.

The back side of the shield had to be bent back from a 90 a wee bit because it wanted to be in the same place that the Ratco mount (on the firewall) needs to be after it is bent into a better position for the trips. Otherwise it did not interfere with the carb mounted bracket from Ratco and the cable was able to come up through the space left for the modified stock linkage.

At some point I will need to redo the cable housing for my throttle cable. Cut it a bit too short so I need to get a new cable from Summit and make it right. When I do that I'll get some pics for you all. I won't do it before that unless someone buys me six pack of my favorite local Micro Brew. :thirsty: Lining up nine bolts to go through the "Ram Air Box", the heat shield and into the carbs all at the same time is not fun. :frown: You guys with the separate air filters will have a much easier time getting it all squared away. I nearly bit the tip of my tongue off trying to hold it just so.

Al, keep going with yours, a little competition never hurt anyone. I think you, Paul, myself and maybe even Bill all have different style headers as well but I'm not sure how much that would affect the overall design. :cheers:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

As the late, great Inspector Clousseau would have said, "Yes, Kato, the plot thickens.........."

OP
Trick6

Trick6

Jedi Hopeful

An Al Gary tri power heat shield on the drawing board. This is going to be so fun. I can wait for the reviews. Mother would be so proud. Just pass the beer.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Brosky said:
... that is what prompted a conversation with Joe Alexander about the shields. He had mentioned that he was working on a new one for the trips back in August when we were talking about seat tracks.

Paul, does Joe/ARE have any plans for a seat track conversion? Inquiring minds want to know!

BobbyD

Jedi Knight

Kevin.....you might want to check with Tony Drews on the seat tracks for the Miata seats. Joe/ARE was working on the design with Jack Drews before his death and, I thought, they had done a production run. Tony's email is at the bottom of the page https://www.tonydrews.com/Jack_Parts.htm

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

That was for their Miata seat bracket/conversion package. I probably stated that incorrectly above.