• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Transmission Leak TR6

hondo402000

Darth Vader
OK I am about ready to pull the engine for the rebuild but on a side topic, my trany has been leaking quite a bit and I figured its the rear seal, got a new one, when I unbolted the drive shaft a lot of oil poured out from inside the rear flange like where the nut is bolted to the shaft, I dont see any other seals, am I opening up another can of worms and will a rear seal solve the leaking?

Attachments

• 23269.jpg
    23269.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 470

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Hondo,

The only seal back there is the pinion seal. I had oil come out of my original drive shaft when the OD was installed many moons ago.

Undoubtedly, this was another Triumph engineering exclusive to protect the drive shafts from rusting out.

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
well when I say leak its like pouring out so what the protocal for stopping the leak? use a rubber washer ahead of the steel washer or RTV in the locking nut and flange

hondo

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When I repaired the leak in my diff, I took the flange into a machine shop and had the flange polished so that the seal would mate better... got rid of any groove from all those years.
I only bring this up so that you at least inspect the tail flange to see if it might have a grove and need to be polished, etc.

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
got the tranny out, the clutch fork pin was not broken but check out the bushings, it appears the wrench monkey cut one busing in half to make 2. they appeat to be 3/8 inch wide some people need not work on anything... Idiots

Attachments

• 23270.jpg
    23270.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 421

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hey if you've come this far... you might think about a Toyota 5-speed replacement trans. Most of the hard work is done.... I'm just saying :whistle:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Actually, the bushing means that someone followed recommendations and installed 2

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
DNK said:
Actually, the bushing means that someone followed recommendations and installed 2
:iagree:
Only better arrangement (IMO) is to use the bronze bushing from the earlier TRs (which is about 7/8" wide) and add a grease zerk so it can be lubed.
ClutchshaftgreasenippleonStag.jpg

On the oil issue, it sounds to me like that big nut was not tight, and so oil was leaking through the center of the flange. If the seal is leaking, the oil gets thrown out in front of the flange.

Torquing the nut to spec, plus maybe a little Hylomar or RTV on the big flat washer should solve it.

As noted above, make sure the sealing surface is perfectly smooth. Install a Speedi-sleeve if necessary. Also check the housing bore where the seal fits, for nicks or burrs. Be sure to lubricate both seal and surface generously, so they don't start up dry.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Hondo,

Is your engine still coming up to Bob for the rebuild?

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
Gliderman8 said:
Hey if you've come this far... you might think about a Toyota 5-speed replacement trans. Most of the hard work is done.... I'm just saying :whistle:

Just an agreeing observation .........Toyota trannys and Nissan diffs don't leak....wonder why the Brits couldn't do the same..

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I wonder if 40 year old Toyota and Datsun transmissions do though ?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
If nothing else, the quality, design and production controls implemented in the 1980's by all Japanese car makers put anything that the Brits ever dreamed of to shame. And it's only gotten better since, as have American and all other cars, simply because they had to.

Can you imagine trying to hold a Kaizen event at a British car factory??? It was hard enough to get people to show up regularly, let alone pick apart a process to improve it.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
How about the 70's cars ? Were they as good ?

I'm sorry, I just bristle up when the comparisons start.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
My TR6 tranny & diff both leaked like a sieve at 22 years old (1997) when I got the car. The Toyota 5 speed is out of an '82 Celica, so it was 25 years old and dry as a bone when I installed it. All I did was replace the seals and change the fluid. The Nissan diff however was only about 10 years old when I installed it after changing just the main pinion seal and fluids. This thing is so dry that I'd be surprised if it developed a leak.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
That is my point exactly Bob. The living proof of British quality control is Jaguar. Lack of is a better term.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
All I can say is that putting the Toyota trans in my 6 has been just great. It shifts smoother, lower engine revs, and no leaks. I could not be happier. Mine came out of an '85 Supra. The Toyota service guy told me "those tranny's are bullet proof"
Like was said above, my tranny is already 25 years old so it's not exactly new. I like it!