Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I have an SCCR and a 210 transmission that probably need flushing. They are both in great shape, but they use different lubes. Can you use the same flush and does anyone have a procedure?
Thanks, Rut
David,
There's gunk inside from sitting for a couple of years, but they are in great shape...oiled to prevent rusting as they sit waiting to be installed. Flush might not be the correct term, but I want them clean and ready to go, inside and out. I'm a little anal and even had my stripped rear end hot tanked, stripped, sanded and painted...I did all but the hot tank.
Thanks, Rut
How about draining whatever oil is in them now, overfilling with diesel, and running through the gears slowly using an electric drill to drive the input shaft. Then drain the diesel out and wait a couple of days (drain plug open) for most of the residual to drip out. If that scares you, after draining the diesel, put the correct lube in, repeat running with the electric drill, then drain that out and re-fill for a final time.
Fit a magnetic plug when you put it back in service. Over time they pick up a lot of shards and filing's you would rather not have going through your gears and bearings.
I'll bet Peter C could get you one if you can't find one else where.
Thanks guys! Calling Peter C...I've looked everywhere for a magnetic drain plug for my SC/CR ribcase and have had no luck! My 210 had one that looked homemade with a brass screw holding a donut shaped magnet to the plug.
Thanks, Rut
Some Triumphs also have pipe plug drains... some with magnets... but I am certain that none of theirs are larger than 3/8NPT.
What about making your own magnetic drain plug by drilling a pilot hole into an existing plug and putting a 1/4" (or so) diameter rod/bar magnet into the hole? You could simply stick the magnet in the hole (assuming a steel or iron drain plug)... or you could JB Weld it in the hole if you want a more secure mount or if the plug is not steel. I am sure you could pick up a number of 1/2" drain plugs at the home center to experiment with and rare-earth magnets are readily available on eBay. (I've bought a number of eBay magnets for use in my sons' school projects).
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.