Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I like my 3.45.... best compromise but I do maintain a set of 3.90s and 3.08s in my garage because I can't stand to get rid of anything Triumph related
I have 3.08 ratio. It's quick enough for around town and does well autocrossing. I think it would be easier to swap rear axle assemblies when you wanted to change ratos than to swap the CWP. That's why I have an extra axle in my store room ready to swap in.
When I accelerate fairly briskly as you would on a freeway ramp or similar it tends to jump after each gear shift.
I also feel I need to shift again listing to the motor at 65 or above.
I have just found it is easier to swap the entire axle. When I swapped on out with the other I was able to clean the axle up and paint it (looks good for about 3 months)
3.08 - 3000 rpms - 80mph
3.45 - 3000 rpms - 70mph
3.90 - 3000 rpms - 60mph
Not exact, but close enough to figure out what ya got. You can't swap the CRP without sourcing some long since unavailable crush washers. That is why most people swap the whole rear end to a 3.45 when the 3.08 gets noisy. The fact that the crush washers are unobtanium is one of the driving factors in switching to a Ford rear end. That and the Fords available of a limited slip and disc brakes.
If anyone does anything with the rear axle to change ratios well change the whole thing! Rebuilding is not fun and some parts are unobtainium. Also only time to get into one is for a Limited Slip but for the $1200.00 just for the unit your about $600.00 from a ford LSD with disc brakes! No brainer! Enjoy the misses.....I was busy stripping mine out!
I was able to get the crush washer. Some vendor in Portland had some for about $3/ea. Sorry, dont recall the name of the place. But they said they didn't have any problems. Maybe it was BPNW (one of the sponsoring vendors)? I still have an extra somewhere.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.