Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I need a high speed third member for my 1980 TR7. I am running a 3:96, I need a 3:08, I think that is the highest ratio made. I am tired of running 3000 rpm at 60 mph.
1980's came stock with a 3.45. The coupes had the 3.90s, but I've seen many a car with the rear end swapped out. The 3.08s only came in the 2800 or so TR8s, and the 81 TR7 automatics. Good luck trying to find one. Another longshot would be to find a rear end out of a Rover SD1. You could swap the ring and pinion into your pumpkin. The only problem with that is the parts to rebuild the rear end are even harder to find than a spare 3.08. That is why so many TR8s are running the 3.45, and why so many people are building Ford 8.8 posi disc brake rear ends to stick under the TR8s. The 3.45 will yield about 70 MPH at 3000 RPM in fifth gear.
MY 8 came with 3.90 because the DPO thought he was going to be a race car driver then he got married and his wife told him he was going to be an accountant. I drove the 3.90 for a few years but went to the 3.45, it was like adding a 6 gear. It made it so much more drivable
I cant use a TR7 trans, im running a Buick 3.1 V6, with a 350 tranny. I might change to a overdrive tranny and help some. I would have to cut the driveshaft again and balance it.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.