• Hey Guest!
    British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!

    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)

TR6 TR6 won't turn over -Rookie TR6 owner

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 12687
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 12687

Guest
Guest
Offline
Bought a restored '76 in March, put about 800 easy miles on it -now it won't start. Just makes one click, radio and headlights still come on.

Any ideas?
 
Welcome to the forum! I can't address your specific problem, but there are a bunch of folks here who can and surely will before long.
 
95% chance you've got a bad connection or three in and around the battery cables! Remove, clean and replace both terminals on the battery, and also try removing, cleaning and replacing the cables wherever they connect on the other end (ground, solenoid, whatever).
 
I dont have my dan masters book with me, a good thing to purchase, but at some point they started putting a starter relay in the TR6, another thing to check, I would also take your battery to auto zone or simular place and have them check it, I had a simular problem, I could charge the battery over night and it still wouldnt start the car and turned out to be the battery,

Hondo
 
hondo402000 said:
also doesnt that year have seat belt interlocks? and all sorts of safety switches?
Hondo
I had a similar problem when I first restored my car... the seat belt interlock system was working intermittently... I bypassed it and have never had problem starting since.
Just one more thing to check along with the good advice from others above.
 
Andy... thanks for that info. I didn't know that!
 
Yeah...I had a '74 Spitfire 1500 with that dreaded interlock system, and my mom (later me) had a '74 Volvo from new with the same system. While it worked in the Volvo, it did get my dad to consistently wear belts. I had long since become a believer and didn't need the forceful reminder! And eventually it failed in the Spitfire, and I had to bypass it!
 
There is a wiring connection above the steering column for the ign. switch to plug into the main harness. Try holding the key down and wiggling it. Kevin
 
Back
Top