• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Rear Main Seal

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Takes a large diameter item to press it into place.
Look at the old one prior to removing seal to be able to match the depth it is pressed into the housing. Add a little of your favorite sealant where it mates with the oil pan and block.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Rob,

"Look at the old one prior to removing seal to be able to match the depth it is pressed into the housing."

Unless there is a ring worn on the crank where the old seal ran. In which case if you have room to re fit the new seal such that it runs on a fresh part of the crank do that, i.e further in or out.

Grease the lip of the seal before fitting to help ease it over without any damage, run the bolts up finger tight then rotate the crank a few times to centralise the seal then carefully tighten op the bolts.

Alec

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
VintageRob said:
Hi,Anyone have any tips on removing and installing the rear main seal?hanks!Rob

First remove the trans

G

TR6BILL said:
DNK said:
VintageRob said:
Hi,Anyone have any tips on removing and installing the rear main seal?hanks!Rob

First remove the trans

Easier said than done.

Actually, I was convinced that my rear seal was leaking so while changing my clutch I was prepared to change the rear oil seal on the engine. Had the flywheel off (changed that too, to aluminum) and noticed that the rear seal wasn't leaking at all. The source of oil in my bell housing was the front seal on my tranny! That got changed instead.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bill, speaking of bell housing, when doing my speedo pinion I happened to notice that there is a rectangular cut out in the BH right past the clutch arm. Is there suppose to be a rubber plug in there? I didn't see anything in the blue TRF book

G

No plug, guess it's some sort of drain. Frankly have no idea.

Anyone else venture a guess??

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Don,

Where is this opening? I don't see it in these pictures.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I assume he means this one. No idea what it's for, but don't think it should have a plug.

Might not even be present on later gearboxes, but I'm too lazy to go find one to look at.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Randall,

Wouldn't that hole be the clutch cross shaft? Bottom of pic that I'm referring to.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry ... you're right, the bottom hole is the clutch shaft. I went back and added a mark around the hole that I think Don is asking about (but of course could be mistaken).

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
OK, no problem, we agree on that. Now I'm confused about where it would be on the other side. This is looking at the inside of the bell housing to the shaft where it would come out in your picture. I have no slot behind my shaft, where your pictures shows it should be.

Is this a Type A by any chance? Mine is a J Overdrive. They may be different.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If the slots were there, they wouldn't show clearly in your photo, Paul. But I've added a mark showing roughly where one would be. The other would be hidden by the TOB.

My photo was actually a non-OD 71 Stag box (only one I had handy for photos), but if it originally had OD, it would have been an A-type. I don't know offhand when the slot disappeared, but it could have been when the OD changed.

Or not, since AFAIK the ODs & main housings are fully interchangeable. The transmission in my TR3A has a TR4 A-type (with the big accumulator) mated to a late TR6 main housing (no slots IIRC and much beefier than the TR4 housing) with a TR3 top cover (to keep the dipstick).

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Sorry Randall. My error. It would be obscured by the T/O bearing from that angle. But I don't think that it's there on my J type.

And I believe that you are correct in that the front case assemblies are interchangeable, with the OD adding on to the rear and the output shaft needing changing. The mounts/driveshaft are the same for O/D tranny as for non O/D also.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Randall has the correct area and mine is also a non OD (rats)