• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 old tires

bigbadbluetr6

Jedi Trainee
Today while driving my TR6 one of my tires blew out. The tires I have on the car are probably 6 years old. I think I heard/read somewhere after 5 years you should replace the tires. The tires probably only have 20k miles. The car has been stored inside ever since I got the tires on the car. Over the last year and a half the car has been my daily driver for a large majority of the time. I am wondering if I need to get all new tires or just replace 1 or 2. Let me know what the best thing for me to do. Thanks guys.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
NEVER skimp on tires. They're the only thing between you and the road.

~ <span style="font-style: italic"> Otherwise, I have no opinion </span>

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
6 years isn't to bad. Just check em over. If the one that blew is garbage then get a new set.
I agree with Mickey. It's the only life you have

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Kind of depends on the "blow out", IMO. If it just went flat for a reason, like it picked up a nail or you hit a pothole just wrong, then the other 3 might be OK (but I would check them very carefully for signs of age). I would also try to decode the DOT number to be sure how old they really are; it's not unusual for tires (especially in unusual sizes) to lay around on a dealer's shelf for several years before they get sold the first time. And tires get old even if they are not installed.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

OTOH if the tire just came apart for no apparent reason, then I would replace the entire set "just because" no matter how new they are. Even ignoring the safety aspects, having a tire come apart at speed can do some serious damage to the car. One of my Stags shucked the tread on a rear tire, and before I could get the car stopped, the flailing belts had not only flayed the paint off the fender (just like one of those "roto-stripper" things advertised on TV
https://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/toolsplus_2108_117548549 )
but done some serious damage to the sheet metal itself.

OP
bigbadbluetr6

bigbadbluetr6

Jedi Trainee
The tire that blew has been the 1 tire I have had problems with holding air. I put air in it within the last 2 weeks. The tire didn't come apart. The tire split all the way from the thread all the way to the rim. It might have been that something punctured it. I'm leaning towards new tires just dont want to spend the money but it definitely is a safety issue. I'd like to be safe and not have an accident.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It's sure frustrating to replace tires that have low miles on them and still "look" new, but I have twice gone too long on them and suffered blowouts. OK, I'm a slow learner. If they are 6 years old and showing any signs of weather checking or surface cracking, replace them all. I was lucky with both blowouts that no serious damage or injury resulted, but I won't gamble on threesies.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
bigbadbluetr6 said:
The tire split all the way from the thread all the way to the rim.
Pitch those puppies promptly!

I see TireRack has Yoko AVIDs in 205/70-15 for $63/tire. Of course you've got to add shipping, mounting & balancing to that price; but it's still a lot cheaper than a new paint job and/or fender.

OP
bigbadbluetr6

bigbadbluetr6

Jedi Trainee
I have 205/65-15's on there right now. I wonder if going to 70s would really be that big of a difference. The 205/65'15s are $5 more a tire. Hmmm decisions decisions decisions.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What's the hot setup in a Redline tire?

- Doug

D

DougF

Tires have a code on the sidewall that gives the month and year by number that the tire was manufactured. One of the problems is that tires can be years old when you finally purchase them. I read where there have been cases of tires being over five years old at time of purchase. Not saying that this is your problem, but something to be aware of.