• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 No 1st/2nd problem/solution

tr6nitjulius

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Filed under preventive maintenance:
Clutch flywheel resurfaced shop had issues fitting ring gear. Called vendor instead of owning up feasibility wrong $20 ring gear sent they suggested: 1) heat both red hot 2) put flywheel in freezer heat ring gear red hot apply 3) should that not work heat both white hot I asked why would include such instruction with ring gear. Speaking with 2 Master British Mechanics both said they never heard that being necessary. Ordered new ring from another vendor heated flywheel/ring they bonded

Perhaps you read earlier post where 1st/2nd shift rod broke in half during 20 miles of test driving after re-install of tranny (unable to shift into 1st/2nd) 3rd/4th reverse 3rd/4th OD worked fine. R&R 1st/2nd shift rod (model year 73+ J-type fitted to early year '71 OEM tranny). Tranny complete rebuild @150k 1990 @300K+ 2000

Test drive all gears shifted smooth/great 1-4 reverse 3/4 OD during 25 miles stop & go no fwy. Sitting in left turn lane to enter parking lot would not shift into 1st/2nd had to use 3rd hi-rev to creep into lot, same back to the house any slow down/stop had to take off in 3rd.

Both mechanic & I stumped what could be the issue. He thought perhaps the tranny gears/synchro's my reply my TR6 doesn't think so. Prior to his arrival I realized I experienced another Senior Citizen Moment & broke the cardinal rule New Clutch/Ring Gear "DO THE TRANNY" while you got it out.

We pulled tranny again Thursday took it to a shop he uses. Friday in the TR6 Cave looked at my TR6 on jacks asked What do you want me to do in order to get us back to driving? Choices: his shop 30 min away, known shop club members use 90 min away, or individual many club members use hour away. My TR6 told me to pick up tranny & take it to Phil 4 hrs away Central Coast of Calif.

Saturday:
At his garage within 5 min inability to shift into 1st/2nd solved:
Phil removed screw plug #67 located externally (> External Gearbox <) next to 1st/2nd shift rod, inside there's a pin for seat belt lights etc on later model TR6 (not early TR6 item) that must have gotten disturbed during cleaning with degreaser R&R of 1st/2nd shift rod?

Using magnet he removed pin shifted with ease 1st/2nd, reinstalled pin, no shift into 1st/2nd repeated process several times (once having to use needle nose plyers to remove pin) same results, pin out smooth shifting all gears, showed difference between screw plug in my shift rod box (flat surface) & one he had with ball bearing attached

Left tranny with Phil (trained by his Father & every conceivable new/upgraded part needed + machinist friend that recuts gears should there be a need) spent couple hours viewing high quality better than OEM machined forks, rods, bearings, gears & chatting as I've known him for decades, so that's why my TR6 told me to take it to Phil we like the Best We Can Get!

On the menu:
Total rebuild gear shift rods as well, work his thorough, attention to details, knowable magic, by the time I drove 4 hrs home he'd taken disassembled tranny, emailed me detailed opinion/description/pics of what he see's with gears. My TR6 continues to lead me to who it needs to accomplish what it needs to allow me to reach 1/2 million miles on same TR6B)

Triumphully
Julius

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Congratulation for keeping her going. I actually thought about you and Don E the other day and how you bought your guys cars new. I wish I had bought one new.
steve

OP
tr6nitjulius

tr6nitjulius

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Fantastic journey! Must be the only like it. Congratulations Julius.

Best, Jay
Jay
U R absolutely correct 43+ yrs 388,888 miles same TR6 Fantastic Journey lots of TR6 Moments: British Iron chooses us to own in return for what we endure in maintaining the marques during our time they give us a lifetime of memories/stories/great people/places
Triumphully
Julius

OP
tr6nitjulius

tr6nitjulius

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Steve wasn't fortunate enough to get mine new was still enjoying my 1st car senior in hi-school, brand spanking new '67 Chevelle 327 Malibu did own both for one year 1979 (30th birthday present to myself) when I pried the keys out of original owner hands & drove it out of his driveway.

Said he chose to sale to me for what I said "my 1st sports car, intend to keep it clean, mechanically maintained & Drive It" 1st 3 yrs every 6 months noontime I'd park curbside at his business he'd come out we'd chat as he did walk around see the improvements/upgrades both would say Thanks handshake & off I'd Drive
Julius