Hey Guest!
How much voltage drops across the ballast resistor depends on how much current is flowing through it. With the engine running, the coil is repeatedly connected and disconnected. Obviously no current flows through it with the (virtual) points open (once the spark is over with), so the voltage drop across the ballast changes constantly. Plus of course, the coil is an inductor rather than a simple resistance, so the current flowing through it varies with time when it is connected. At higher rpm, the result might look something like the chart below.poolboy said:I guess I forgot Randall, did you explain how the AC component in the ballast resistor wire feed to the coil is different than a straight 12 volt feed ?
Well, it does, but because the resistance of the wire is very low, the change in voltage due to current flowing in the wire is also very low. So without a ballast, the coil/Pertronix 'sees' nearly battery voltage, with just a slight bit of noise on it.poolboy said:I don't get that a non- ballasted wire would not under go the same sort of rise and fall.