• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 inertia seat belts

MI76TR6

Freshman Member
Country flag
It's time to replace the original inertia reel seatbelts in my 76 TR6. They still look good but the 30 year old webbing scares me and the retractors do not have enough tension to keep the belts snug. The question is, what do I replace them with? Each of the big 3 have their own solution. VB sells the British made Securon brand that has the inboard buckles mounted on a stalk very similar to the originals. TRF sells a US made belt that has an adjustable length belt on the buckle end.Moss sells a US belt that is available with either the stalk mounted buckle or an adjustable belt buckle and also sells a more expensive retractable belt set (with adjustable belt on buckle end) that they say was specifically designed for the TR6. I'd be inclined to go with the VB Securon, because I think it might look closest to original equipment, but the Moss catalog suggests that their US belts actually work unlike some replacement belts (a reference to Securon?). I don"t understand the purpose of adjustable belts on the buckle end....I can only assume that this would allow installation in other vehicles where the mounting point is further from the top of the seat cushion (The TRF tech rep claimed it was so that a person regardless of size could adjust the buckle to be in the middle of the lap, but that's not where you want the buckle with a shoulder belt). The Moss tech rep had no insight on stalk mounted buckle vs. adjustable and further could not tell me what the difference was in the premium priced set supposedly specifically designed for the TR6. Any advice? Has anyone had any experience with any of these?

bash

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi

I just bought a set of the TRF belts. They look nothing like original, but they seem pretty substantial and after looking at them for a while I think they will look pretty good in the car. I haven't fitted them yet (got to get the brakes sorted first or I might be needing the seatbelts sooner than I would like!) but they feel a lot heavier than the originals and the webbing seems thicker (could just be the old webbing is worn). The buckle is fairly substantial, so I figured the adjustable part was to keep that in a comfortable place.

I have never heard anything bad about Securon, and they seem to be pretty universal for the UK suppliers. I seem to remember that is what went onto my TR7 years ago, and I never had any problems. There's a guy on ebay who sells a set of Securon belts every couple of weeks (bluechips2001 is his ID, name is Joe (Joe Alexander?)). He seems very knowledgeable - NFI or anything, just noticed the belts a few times. If you are patient and wait for a week when nobody else bids, you can get them for $130, which is a bit cheaper than VB, as I understand it.

Hope that helps
Alistair

G

You can get stuff from Joe (Bluechips2001) without having to wait for him to post it on Ebay. Just drop him an email and tell him what you're looking for. If he has any he'll give you a price. I've bought some stuff from him in the past, he's a good guy and easy to deal with. His prices are usually pretty good to.

PeterK

Yoda
I have a barely used set that the PO put in my TR3 that I'll give you a great deal on. I am replacing them with vintage racing belts. If interested, I can post pictures. Not sure what the TR6 belts look like so they may or may not work for you

email is kentechATmidmaineDOTcom

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Re: Peter you have a PM

Please see the PM I sent you.

skikir

Jedi Hopeful
I got an EBay set and seem to be happy with them. Not going to crash into a wall to see if they'll work but they seem to operate properly short of that.

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
On my TR4A I used new VW Jetta belts. I am very happy with them as they fit just fine and can be ordered locally.

martin_burtt

I just installed a set of Securon belts in my TR6. I picked them up at Moss Europe on a trip over to London for US$115 for the pair.
Installation was a 15 minute job. Just unbolt the old ones and in with the new, 4 bolts each side. I haven't driven the car with them in yet but they look good and seem to work well.

Cheers,
Martin
74 1/2 TR6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF