• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 hardtop

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Still chasing a hardtop for the TR6 so I can have a near leak free care in SE Louisiana. They all seem to be in the north or north east. My TR6 is in Atlanta so I can run interference for a top if some one is traviling to FL from the northern states that have all the hardtops. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif I missed one in south Atlanta :sl, a factory hardtop and a guy north east of Atlanta wished me good luck when I asked him if he would part out the hartop on his rust bucket being sold for parts. Guess i should have bought the whole car. If you ahve a line on one around the south east, let me know.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I know a guy in VT who has a ton of Triumph stuff. But that's about as far away as you can get. I need to get some odds and ends from him. Do you want me to ask about the top?

davidk

Jedi Trainee
I have a fiberglass hardtop. Send me a pm if you're interested. It's in pretty good shape. It needs new weatherstripping and some of the rear attaching hardware. I'm located in north east Texas.

Attachments

• 6028-100_6163a.jpg
    6028-100_6163a.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 580
  • 6030-100_6161a.jpg
    6030-100_6161a.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 595
G

Hey Don, I know where there is one in New Orleans but you will need to go at night, wearing dark clothes, and will need a flashlight, tools and a slap-hammer. Kinda risky, and illegal.

OP
V

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Deadlast
I really don't want to do much. If it looks OK and all there it is going on the car. I don't know what a steel top looks like from the inside when the head liner is out but looks are all in the eyes of the beholder and I am not looking for winning the local shows; I'll leave that to that speedy dentist that, for my vote, controls the Louisiana shows. I don't want to recover a plastic top or repair the plastic.

Now I have said what I don't want to do, it does not mean I would not work through another project (I've got 3 running at this time and 2 are at the eye ball level for me). I am not skilled with rust repair, just the whole panel replacement. With that picture, what shape is the one to which you are thinking about?

OP
V

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Brosky
It is true the good stuff seems to be up north! When I was a kid, I remember one of the best junk yards around the Atlanta area would all ways justify his high price by saying "....heck, these are northern parts." The idea was the car bodies rusted out before many miles were put on them; consequently, the transmissions or diff's were a little more expensive for the "northern" part.

I think the shipping/freight cost would just add a bit too much to the cost of the top. However, every thing is relative so if you have any ides about shipping let me know; I would be happy to have anything that would work out of VT.

OP
V

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Bill, if I can't get a top this summer, I will be contacting you. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cowboy.gif

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Vette,

I bought a factory hardtop a while back.. it was pretty rough though. It needs a little metal on the bottom, but it's definetly not a lost cause (although it's close). I took it to an autoshop and got it media blasted and primered. I since found another one in much better shape and forgot about it.

Again, it's workable, but it needs pretty much everything (headliner, weather stripping, etc) to get it back to shape. Not for the faint of heart.

lpool15

My brother has a very good blue condition 1971 TR6 hard top that needs relining but perfect otherwise. If that is what you are looking for I can forward youe email and you can talk.

steve_sims

howdy, I just bought a top for a TR4 {not for sale} and had it shipped by Greyhound Bus. UPS wouldn't touch it. If you have a Greyhound station nearby this is the way to go for shipping. Much cheaper than UPS too. Good Luck, Steve

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Randy,

Before we get too far with this, let me call the body shop that did the priming.. hopefully they didn't throw it away! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I'll call them tomorrow.

rporter

Freshman Member
Country flag
I paid $500 for one from Ohio with no rust but no hardware and rotten rubber. New rear rubber very very hard to find. I think I got a deal.