• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Gas Pedal Shaft Bushing Install

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Does anyone know the secret to installing the bushings (bearings) for the gas pedal shaft? This is the shaft that runs from the drivers foot well across the engine bay to the passengers foot well.
I bought the parts from TRF. They appear to be polyurethane, which lulled me into thinking I could distort them slightly and get the flange through the hole. NSL (no such luck) I tried a little soap. Didn't try boiling them in soapy water, yet.
I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm also exploring alternatives.
Thanks,
BOBH

swift6

Yoda
Re: #$%^& ! TR6 Gas Pedal Shaft Bushing Install

A real PITA isn't it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Boiling water helps but some folks have also ended up cutting small pie wedges out to allow them to compress enough to fit in. The wedge won't effect the bushing doing its job them once they are in place. Good luck.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

G

I did just as Shawn says, I cut little notches into the inner faces of those things to get them to fit. After monkeying around for amost an hour on one side with no luck I gave up and used that approach. Nearly 5 years later they are still holding up fine.

stob62

A real pain in the butt. I used a paint heat gun to get them soft and managed to get them in nicely.

OP
bobh

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Thanks!
I spent nearly an hour trying last night. Tonight I'll try the heat gun and if needed the cuts.
I also hit the old time hardware store at lunch. Came out with nylon spacers, push nuts, flanged bronze bearings, brass tubing and some shaft collars. If I can't get the replacement parts to cooperate I've got all this stuff to play with.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Don't kill your fingers and nerves over this stupid design and replacement part configuration. I'm sorry, but I'm in the office and don't have the needed part numbers for you, but this will be really easy to do.

Measure the shaft OD, then measure the ID of the hole that is in the firewall. It is the same on both sides. Then go to the McMaster & Carr website and lookup nylon or plastic bushings. You can get a bushing with a flange on one side that will have the correct ID and OD to fit into the hole perfectly with no aggravation. The flange gives you a working surface to drive it in and keeps it from falling through the firewall.

To install, disconnect linkage. Slide out pedal and rod from passenger side and drivers side. It's tight against kick pad, but will come out. Remove old junk bushings. Install new bushing on passenger side with flange facing into engine compartment. You can tap in place with hammer after lubing bushing OD with a little grease, then lube ID with grease after installed.

Now for the only tricky part. Slide pedal and shaft back through drivers side with bushing lubed on OD and ID and slid down over shaft, but do not go all the way through to the other side. Just a few inches is all you need. Then put a deep well socket that is smaller than the flange on new bushing over the shaft and tap the bushing into place with hammer against the socket until it seats properly and you are done.

Then you can slide the pedal and shaft all of the way over and lock it down to the linkage. Bingo, no fuss, no muss at about $.50 each, order a handful of spares to sell to members of your club at an ridiculous price! Just kidding.

This works really well and will make life much easier. Sorry that I don't have the numbers here, but I think that I threw the bags away after my install.

I'm amazed that TRF or someone didn't figure this out years ago.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

There is also a bronze insert that someone has comeup with. I used to have info. I'll check.
don

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

I tried the metal version and it transmitted a lot of noise back into PASSENGER compartment. I went to nylon, actually teflon and the noise went away. It acts as an insulator for the shaft and really made a difference.

OP
bobh

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Paul,
Thanks for the suggestion. I started to go the same route, but made a bad assumption. After the first failed attempt to install the bushings. I showered, rehydrated and dug out my McMaster Carr book. I measured the OD of the bushing and tried to find a bushing that would match. Nothing really matched. I should have measured the ID of the hole. I bought a handful of nylon spacers and some bronze bushings at a hardware store. All of them turned were too small for the hole. I finally got the TRF bushings to go in by cutting 4 pie shaped sections out of the tapered side, then had to cut a single line betweer each pie slice. They were still difficult to insert.
If you still have the part numbers for the nylon inserts it would be helpful for everyone who will need to do this in the future. Good insight on the metal bushing.
Thanks again,
BOBH

rchakr

Brosky's got it right. The McMaster-Carr bushing is the easy way to go. I think it's 5/8ths outside dia., and 3/8ths inside dia. It's flanged on one side. The bushing is made of 'oilite', which is an oil impregnated metal. On the driver's side, I milled a groove for a 'E' clip to hold it in place. On the driver's side, the flange of the bushing is on the engine compartment side, and the 'E' clip is on the driver's footwell side. No need for a clip to hold the bushing on the passenger's side, since the flange is on the engine compartment side, and a cotter pin holds things together on the passenger's footwell side. I did have to cut down the bushing's length 1/4th" on the passenger's side. This is a very easy fix. Nelson Ridell did an article on this a couple years ago.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

I actually used a MDS bushing and I believe that I have found the number. (See below) The bushing is a few .000" larger than the ID of the firewall holes and allows for a force fit, which precludes having to install the "e" clip. I went for the simplest install as possible. I wish that I had seen the article about this earlier. I burned and cut my fingers, cursed everyone (except Dr. Lucas in this case) and was just about to torch the car when I had an epiphany and came up with the idea based on a similar part used old GM clutch linkage.

I will assume that the 5/8" and 3/8" sizing suggested above is correct. PLEASE VERIFY BEFORE ORDERING - YOU ARE PART OF THIS TOO!

It seems that you can't copy a url from McMaster Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/) other than the home page, so here is the page info to search for from home:

"Flange Sleeve Bearings" then pick
"Plastic" then pick
"MDS Self Lubricating"

Then pick size, by ID first, OD next and length last. 1/2" might seem short, but the force fit into the appx. 1/4" of firewall is plenty. That will yield the following info:

Part Number: 6294K213
$3.62 Each (Price has gone up from $2.50 two years ago)
Type Flanged Sleeve Bearings
Material Plastic
Plastic Type MDS-Filled Nylon
System of Measurement Inch
For Shaft Diameter 3/8"
Shaft Diameter Tolerance ±0.002"
Outside Diameter 5/8"
Outside Diameter Tolerance ±0.003"
Flange Outside Diameter 7/8"
Flange Thickness 1/8"
Length 1/2"
Length Tolerance ±0.010"
Load (P Max) 300
Speed (V Max 60
Load at Speed (PV Max) 3,000
Temperature Range -40° to +220° F
Specifications Met Not Rated

Good Luck !!

OP
bobh

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Paul,
Thanks for the details. I still have my McMasters Carr catalog from nearly 20 years ago. I looked through it last night and couldn't find the flanged bearings. I'll find them on line and put in an order. Then I'll take out those PITA ones I put in and throw them at the neighbors dog. Maybe he'll stop barking for awhile and let me work in peace.
RCHAKR,
Do you have a copy of Nelson's article? I tried to find it but couldn't.
Thanks!
BOBH

bash

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]

Do you have a copy of Nelson's article? I tried to find it but couldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have the Nelson Riedel article - PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it.

Alistair

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Bob:

I wish that I would have had it. I still wouldn't mind getting a copy though.

Good luck - and check the shaft OD and firewall ID sizes before ordering bushings!

OP
bobh

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I'm going to check the ID of the bulkhead holes and call the local industrial supply house to see if they carry the bushings. With all the information that has come up in this thread there should be a couple of alternatives to the replacement bushings available through TRF and other suppliers.

bash

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I still wouldn't mind getting a copy though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul - you've got mail. If anyone else wants a copy of the article, just PM me your e-mail address.
Cheers
Alistair