• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Differential Question.

Wilky

Freshman Member
Good Morning/Afternoon Boys!

I have finally got round to dropping the diff off the back of the car, I had to delay the job due to work commitments and "She who must be obeyed" commitments after the comment was passed that I cared about the car more than I cared about her. (If my hand had been forced she may have been upset by my response)
Anyway, I removed the exhaust and disconnected the drive shafts before finishing up last night. Tonight the diff comes off to see if the mountings are broken which is causing the clunking I seem to get when off throttle.
If I do find the mountings are broken,

a. Is there any kits available that would allow me to repair it or is it a case of doing my own repair?

b. Does anyone have experience of this repair and can I weld in that area without first removing the gas tank?

c. I have been looking at the goodparts CV joint driveshafts and R200 diff conversion, does anyone have experience of these.

Any advice or comments are welcome.

I am finding many bolts are loose or over torqued stripping threads and making my life extremely difficult, which leads me to the conclusion that the person who worked on the car before I bought it didnt know what they were doing and that Im going to have to double check everything.

Callum

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey Callum,

Your key suspect will be the front right mounting pin. Check it well (even for hairline cracks). If this one is solid, then your other 3 are probably OK too.

a. there are repair kits available from the big three which allow you to box in the mount and, if needed, replace the pin entirely. My understanding is that if replacing the pin itself you will need access to the top of the diff bridge to weld it. The method to doing this is cutting a small hole in the body from the package shelf in the interior of the car.

b. not sure but, I do know that welding upside down in such a cramped space is not much fun.

c. anyone?

Bob

OP
W

Wilky

Freshman Member
Thanks Bob,
I'll know tonight for sure when I get in about the mountings.

"Roger that" as far as having to come in from the top is concerned, I hope I don't have to start cutting holes in the car, Ill have better idea by end of tonight.

Callum

OP
W

Wilky

Freshman Member
Bob, you were bang on the nail as far as the front right mounting pin is concerned!!

All four pins are good however there is a huge crack right through the mounting for the front right pin, perfectly from left to right. all other welds are good so all I need to do is weld and that should be good.

The diff however has a few leaks and what I suspect is too much play, once I get the feeler gauges in about it tonight I'll know for sure.

The more I think about uprating to Goodparts Hubs, driveshafts and Nissan R200 LSD the more I like the idea. Expensive but worthwhile. Ill save up over the next few months and spend the time wisely by painting the underside of the car and uprating bushes.

Any advice on good rust inhibitors?

Callum

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Callum - you should stronly condier putting in braces / reinforcements on the diff pins.

Not a fun job - been there - but better than the alternative.

Tim Tucker

Jedi Trainee
Platinum
Country flag
Here's what the alternative can cause:
PropDamage.jpg
It was actually worse than it looks.

I think this idiot kept driving myself! I have a good tub...with this exception...I was able to pull most of it out with seam clamps...Please take the time to make the upgrades. Good Luck!
Tim

OP
W

Wilky

Freshman Member
Thanks guys!

Im just back from Houston (Putting in extra work to save my pennies for the diff upgrade etc)

I totally agree with the reinforced pins suggestion. Now, heres a question, the pins have supports on them already, are these factory or aftermarket? The welding looks quite good however a little bit more wouldn't hurt. Im also going to box them in to provide additional support.

Callum