• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 AC compressor bracket

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
Wondering if anyone might have original AC compressor brackets they would be willing to part with. Or perhaps lend out so I can make a copy. Even just pictures and measurements would be helpful.

Thanks

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
One of the issues with replacement air conditioning system parts for all BL cars of that time except Jaguar is that the cars came without a factory installed air conditioning system. Essentially each dealer installed whatever system they had decided to use so the first step may be to determine the air conditioning system manufacturer. The "official" BL air conditioning systems for Austin, MG and Triumph were under HACxxx or HACxxxx series of accessory part numbers and were made by Mark IV Manufacturing in the northern reaches of Fort Worth. There were two Austin/MG dealers in Dallas, one used the BL kits, the other used a different aftermarket kit made in Grand Prairie TX (seem to recall that it was ARA but not be sure of that). The lone Triumph dealer in Dallas County mostly used the BL kit but were known to use the kit from the outfit in Grand Prairie if the BL kits were on back order. Mark IV is long gone, sold to Volkswagen to make A/C system components and kits under the Volkswagen Parts Corporation umbrella and as air conditioning systems from the factory became essentially a standard, that part of VPC went away. As far as I know ARA is still around, they may be able to help.

Having said that, other than bracketry and evaporator housings, perhaps the evaporator and condensers themselves, most of the parts were commodity items. All of the period systems that I have seen used a 9 inch York compressor, off the shelf receiver driers, expansion valves, fans, fan switch and temperature switch. As a result, there is a reasonable chance that compressor bracket or set of parts making up the compressor mount system for a TR6 might work. The caveats would mostly come in with respect to specific year models and the emission controls fitted to the engine.

OP
B

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
All I need is just the compressor mount. The compressor would have driven off a pulley mounted just behind the fan. None of the other TR6 parts will fit as its going in a TVR. I have all of the other parts except the compressor mount.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I would try Summit Racing for some type a mounting bracket they tend to carry many custom stuff. I do have a TR 6 friend with dealer AC from California I ask for a pic see what he sends by E mail. Madflyer

OP
B

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
Unfortunately only a couple places make them and only one is like the original and they won't sell the bracket separately. Don't exactly want to spend $1400 for a kit i can only use the bracket out of.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Unfortunately only a couple places make them and only one is like the original and they won't sell the bracket separately. Don't exactly want to spend $1400 for a kit i can only use the bracket out of.

If you don't mind me asking, who is that source of period correct bracket set up for a York 9 inch compressor?

OP
B

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
It uses the modern sanden compressor which is what I will end up using. They are much more efficient on R-134. The old York compressors can run on it but they do much better with R-12.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OK My buddy sent me pic of his AC system and he also got rid of the York I can send pic by E-mail I do not know how to put his pic to this site. Madflyer

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
This is currently on eBay:

screenshot.2620.jpg

https://ebay.us/mLQClc

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Steve Pic are to large for BCF I can send to you E-mail There are 4 pic.

Madflyer

Opps wrong pic

Attachments

• HPIM2062.jpg
    HPIM2062.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited: