• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4A Seat Upholstery - Piping Question

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi All,

I am looking to re-upholster my front seats. Fortunately, there are a few extremely good "how to" write ups online. My question has to do with white piping. I have black vinyl with white piping. I believe the PO sourced the covers from TRF 20+ years ago but, not certain. What I especially like is that it has two rows of white piping - one on the outside and another around the pleated area, just like this image:
> TR4, TR4A Glove Box Companion: Seat Reupholstery Kits, TR4a Only :(page 186) <

However, 99% of the TR4A photos I see have only one outer bead of white piping. Does anyone else have the two rows of white piping? And, if so, where and when did you order your covers?

Thanks

Bob

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not much help but I looked at a number of my books really not much in pic it may be a limited year they were made with two white piping. look at inforevingtontr.com they are in the UK so 12 hours off but have been around for 40 years. send as att. Matt Tucker They are good for OEM and Triumph's MF

OP
RJS

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks MF.
Revington TR has a very cool website which I've never really explored before. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I took a good look around but, didn't see anything definitive on seat piping.
Bob

fpstude

Silver
Country flag
As a point of interest, I can show a couple photos from the sales brochure I got with our Triumph when we purchased it 55 years ago. Usually sales brochures are from marketing prior to production, so the ideas don't necessarily make it to production. It is difficult tell, but I see white piping only around the edge. Not around the pleated area. I know our seats had white piping when new, but I don't remember if it was in both locations. The seats were re-upholstered 30 year ago, so the evidence is gone.

Front of brochure

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you look closely there is contrasting piping around the pleated section of the seat cushions, can't really tell anything about the seat backs but I can't imagine the backs not having the contrasting piping around the pleated section if the seat cushions have it. My former TR-4A had red seats with white piping around the outer edges and around the pleated cushions. I also checked Bill Piggott's Original Triumph TR which shows a TR-4A interior in Midnight Blue and white piping around the outer edges and the pleated sections.

The TR-4 and TR-5/250 only had contrasting piping around the outer edges of the seat while the TR-6 had matching piping as far as I know.
4A Seats.jpg

OP
RJS

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for all this,

Definitely a bit of a mystery. Tybalt, I also saw the same in Bill Piggot's book showing the double white piping. If the double white piping is available, that is my preference - I just think it looks really handsome. But, if single white piping is the standard and all that's available, that's what I'll go with.

Bob

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks MF.
Revington TR has a very cool website which I've never really explored before. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I took a good look around but, didn't see anything definitive on seat piping.
Bob
Did you send them an E-mail anyway good luck MF

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you look at Roadster's TR-4/4A Glove Box Companion catalog on page 182 the seat components for the 4A are shown with "double" piping for the cover sets. Your choice of three colors and vinyl or leather. One page further takes you to the optional rear jump seats if you are interested in that. Mine had that option but those "occasional rear seats" are mighty tight unless the occasion is something like a third birthday.