• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR TR4A Seat Rebuild

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

Mine is a 66 TR4A which I've owned 20 years. The PO installed new vinyl upholstery and my seats look good. But, he re-used the original internals and now the foam innards are really starting to disintegrate and fall apart.

My question: how likely is it that I can remove the upholstery safely, rebuild my seats and re-install the current upholstery without damaging it? I am probably most concerned if the upholstery is glued on in any fashion (which may make removal dicey).

Thanks

Bob

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
If it's done properly, you should be able to do this. The covers are held on by clips, which are easy to remove.

See > TR4A Seat Rebuild Instructions - Attached : TR4 & TR4A Forum : Triumph Experience Car Forums : The Triumph Experience < for good seat-rebuilding instructions; this is the best I've found. Also > Interior Restoration < gives my experience.

When you get them apart, you may find some surprises. The frames often have a lot of rust and may need repair. Seat covers are often installed over old covers, and auto upholsterers often do things their own way. Seats, also, are beloved nesting places for mice. It might be a bigger job than you expect.

OP
RJS

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Steve

Thanks so much for the resources. These are truly amazing in their detail. Glad to hear the upholstery should come off intact. But, I'll take a close read to determine if this is something I can take-on myself - or if best left to a professional. Most mechanical things I am game to tackle. But upholstery is a bit of an art.

Bob
PS: I'll be exploring the rest of your website this afternoon. Extremely well done - thanks!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I have fearlessly upholstered 4 British cars without really knowing what I was doing. Not all that difficult and many of the steps allow re-do if the first attempt doesn't meet your standards.

If the PO used glue it was likely contact cement which a modest application of heat can often permit disassembly.

Seat covers are often installed over old covers, and auto upholsterers often do things their own way.

The first time I did my TR3 I removed the old vinyl covers to find under them.... a set of older vinyl covers. Pulled those off too and found... a set of old leather covers (probably the originals).

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
When I redid my TR250 seats I didn't replace the foams, 6-7 years later as the seats continued to rapidly disintigrate I decided that was a mistake, and took them apart again and added foam. Like brakes and carburators they come in pairs on our cars, do one at a time and you will have the other for reference. No special tools needed, strong hands for stretching and clamping stuff helps.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I found the seat padding that The Roadster factory sells is very good. I had bought a complete upholstery kit from the UK but it came with foam rubber seat padding that I could not get to work well.
Got some more padding from TRF to use in place of the foam rubber padding and am very pleased with the results.

David

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I can attest to the instructions Steve posted the link to as I’m now the caretaker of Jim’s Desert TR. Jim did a beautiful job on the seats and everything else.
Rut

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I am pretty sure there was an article on BCF on seat rebuilding? It was a few years ago, but I found it really helpful.

What happened to the articles section? I'm still navigating my way around the new forum (I really like it - but need to learn a few new "tricks").

OP
RJS

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This is really encouraging info. I will pull the seats (one at a time) once we get some warmer Spring weather and seriously consider rebuilding myself. If only the foam cushions were available - they appear to be BO'd everywhere.

Bob

OP
RJS

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
OK, I take that back. I just looked and Rimmer Bros in the UK has the cushions in stock

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
All the above is spot on, would add the rubber bladder can be a pain they may want it to tight I think it should fit with out to much pull your tail will do the rest. If all new foam slip a plastics bag over the back to slide cover back on just leave it there. Not only will you find rust but enough change for a cup of coffee. Madflyer

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Yes - that was the write up, Alan Turner! Great document... anyone know where it went to?