• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4A rear engine lift point - photos?

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Hi all,

I am ready to remove the engine out of my TR4A. I'm looking for the lift points. I found the front, no problem; bracket bolted to the engine. But, for the life of me, I can't find the rear lifting point.

I have been surfing the net looking for photos; yet it seems everybody takes pictures of the engine lift from the driver side! There are plenty of pictures of the front point but none of the rear.

I would appreciate any pictures, and any advice on connecting the lift to the back of the engine, thanks. What is strong enough to support both the engine and transmission?

I have read through some recent posts here, and have already learned a lot - thank to all the contributors!

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf...on-Back-onto-the-Mounts&highlight=Engine+lift
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf...on-together-or-seperate&highlight=Engine+lift

Thanks!

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
The rear point is a solid piece of strap iron steel, hooped. It is at the rear passenger corner of the upper engine cylinder head, bolted on the top to the last head stud at that corner, and on the bottom to the exhaust manifold stud protruding from the engine. The Part is in the Moss catalog. Item 63.

Engine.jpg

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Awesome - thanks all!!!

looks like my motor is missing said piece; time to call my favorite purveyor of fine vintage British parts...

BL50

Bronze
Country flag
My '66 that I bought from the original owner in 1967 is missing the rear lifting bracket too. Seems it was either one of those parts that was purposely eventually omitted or haphazardly installed "back in the day"!

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Since it's important to torque the head bolts correctly and in order...would it be prudent to install that bracket if you weren't going to be removing or re-torquing the head? After pulling the engine some time ago I bought the two lifting brackets but have not installed them because the head is already torqued correctly.

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
According to the Triumph Register of America (TRA) judging guidelines the TR4 aft engine hoist hardware was removed somewhere between CT 1000 and CT 20000. Engines up to CT1000 definitely had both lifting point. Most engines I have seen from CT1000 only came with the front loop and not the aft one. If your car has the original manifold studs and had the aft lift then it will have a longer manifold stud for the lifting piece. If the aft stud is original and the same length as the other, your engine would not have had the aft lift piece.

If you have a TR4A, the engine would have never had the aft lift, according to the TRA judging guidelines.

My 1962 TR4 only has the forward lifting loop and I used a long chain looped from the front lift point back to the inward starter mounting hole where I bolted it to the block to remove and install my engine. The chain links were welded and 3/16" thick with oblong links. Inside opening of each link is approximately 1 1/4 x 5/16 inch. With the manifold removed, I slipped one link over the aft manifold stud and loosely put a washer and nut on to stabilize the engine. This link only stabilized the engine, but did not hold any of the weight.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
... I bought the two lifting brackets but have not installed them because the head is already torqued correctly.

I don't think removing and re-torqueing one head nut is going to get you in much trouble -- especially in this case as an end one (which this is) is last in the tightening sequence anyway.

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks again to everyone for the feedback and ideas.

I visited my local purveyor of fine vintage Triumph parts (or is it fine purveyor of vintage parts... :wink-new: ...both are correct IMO). Unfortunately the rear lifting hardware is on back order from the UK. As Vila mentioned, my stud may not be long enough to use the hardware anyways, so upon discussion with said vendor, I will construct a bracket to connect to the head stud(s). I am thinking of a simple piece of angle iron, connected to the two rear most studs (on the passenger side) - but not having the motor in front of me, I need to still think this one through. I'll post pictures when complete, for those interested.

Some good advice / ideas were found here: https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/be105.htm and here: https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/be106.htm

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Both my 66 (possibly a 67) and 67 have the rear lifting eyes and the engines look like they've never been touched, and not in a good way.
Rut

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Engine has been hoisted and mounted on a stand! (Followed by a hoisting of a beer!) Thank you all for your help!!!

Now, let's see if I can manage to post a few pictures...

IMG_6814.jpgIMG_6815.jpgIMG_6952.jpgIMG_6953.jpg

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
P.S. The engine leveler I have is junk... I'm definitely getting an "upmarket" one when I re-install the motor. The threads are buggered up, and it was a royal pain to spin the lever when the engine angle (i.e. load imbalance) was high - as is needed to get the right angle on the engine. (It was new out of the box, and I oiled the threads before using...). However the lift, same brand, worked very well for me.

IMG_6824.jpgIMG_6829.jpg

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
The TRA unfortunately has a few errors in their writeup on TR4 and TR4As. The rear lifting mount is one of them. Both of my TR4s, post CT30000 range had the mounts in place and were original cars.