RJS
Jedi Warrior
Online
Hi All,
You may have seen my earlier posts on removing my gearbox. Well, it is being rebuilt now after I starting hearing a "chattering" sound in gears 1, 2 and 3 at the end of last season. Otherwise, the gearbox worked perfectly other than an occasional "notchiness" going into third gear. Oh, and sometimes I would get a 3-5 second delay engaging the OD. I attribute that to the OD relay. The gear box was previously rebuilt in 1998 (14,000 miles ago) just before I bought the car. John at Quantum Mechanics has it and upon opening it up, found a few interesting things.
1) it has an asymmetric gear set (not original, factory correct - maybe from a later TR6?)
2) The clutch fork pin had broken and was welded. He had to cut it to remove
3) The layshaft and bearings were new and looked good
4) The OD had the earlier (TR3/4) large accumulator pump 1.75" diameter. With the TR4A IRS cars Triumph moved to a smaller accumulator pump with 1.15" dia
5) The OD clutch linings had been resurfaced and looked good.
6) The synchros were the cheaper versions (he said there are typically three levels of quality and these were the cheapest)
7) The OD relay was original
So, plan of attack is as follows:
Bob
You may have seen my earlier posts on removing my gearbox. Well, it is being rebuilt now after I starting hearing a "chattering" sound in gears 1, 2 and 3 at the end of last season. Otherwise, the gearbox worked perfectly other than an occasional "notchiness" going into third gear. Oh, and sometimes I would get a 3-5 second delay engaging the OD. I attribute that to the OD relay. The gear box was previously rebuilt in 1998 (14,000 miles ago) just before I bought the car. John at Quantum Mechanics has it and upon opening it up, found a few interesting things.
1) it has an asymmetric gear set (not original, factory correct - maybe from a later TR6?)
2) The clutch fork pin had broken and was welded. He had to cut it to remove
3) The layshaft and bearings were new and looked good
4) The OD had the earlier (TR3/4) large accumulator pump 1.75" diameter. With the TR4A IRS cars Triumph moved to a smaller accumulator pump with 1.15" dia
5) The OD clutch linings had been resurfaced and looked good.
6) The synchros were the cheaper versions (he said there are typically three levels of quality and these were the cheapest)
7) The OD relay was original
So, plan of attack is as follows:
- New cross shaft fork and hardened pin
- Upgraded triple bearing 1st cluster gear – 16 tooth, as original
- New Top Quality Synchros
- New Speedometer bushing (current one bent)
- New OD Solenoid (1966 original still on there!)
- Smaller OD Accumulator Piston
- Symmetric Gear Set with Steel Bushings (this set means new input shaft, 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear, 1/ 2 hub, 3/ 4 hub and main shaft)
- Oh, and a Magnetic Drain Plug
Bob
Hey Guest!