• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4 Fan Alternatives

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I realize this has been discussed many times before but I'm in a time crunch and an archive search turned up way more threads than I can sift through.

I have a 1000 mile event coming up week after next and this morning I had a fan blade break off on the TR4. 2nd time for me... at least this one has the decency to leave w/o making a big dent in the bonnet... just cut a couple of wires.

Question 1 -- My first choice is the yellow plastic fan but Moss and TRF currently show them N/A. Anyone know a source for these?

Question 2 -- Some think these have to go on backwards, some think a different hub is needed, I have seen at least one TR4 that used the yellow fan right way 'round with no modifiction. Does this vary from car to car or is there a trick? Hoping to not have to swap out the hub of course.

Question 3 -- I'm thinking that worst case I can run w/o the fan, just the hub. I have an electric 'helper' fan (a pusher) that I flip on manually as needed -- but most of the planned trip is highway. This sound okay?

Question 4 -- Failing all that (and being a glutton for originality and punishment) does anyone have a square-tipped metal TR4 fan for sale? I see a couple on eBay but my timing doesn't really fit with taking a chance on an eBay seller/shipper.

Thanks for any answers, advice or sympathy.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Geo - I have a spare yellow fan for you. Beat up, but should be OK.

I'm out of the area until Tuesday AM but I could FedEx it to you.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Geo-

Please don't tell me that 2nd fan came from me!

Re #1: Only see them on ebay right now, like Tom I have one on the wall if you need one in a hurry. If you want a similar, available and slightly cheaper option, consider the red Bimmer fan Art and MadMarx use. I picked one up and plan to use it on the 3A. Can provide a link to a source if interested I think.

Re #2: If you stick with the TR4 hub and want I think you will need to reverse the fan to get the required amount of space.

Re #3: With the pusher fan I think you'll be just fine running with just the hub - hopefully your generator will be able to keep up.

Re #4: What a glutton for punishment! I've sent a pm for a potential option along those lines if you are interested.

Randy

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Iam still considering fan optons for my tr3.Altough I plan to get Wizard alum.rad.,I am still thinking about possible mech. fan options.curious if anyone has experimented or is running one of these types,or if it may be something for your tr4.
12" flex fan
Tom

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
George I have a 8 blade yellow fan off a TR6 you are welcome to have to see how it will fit. I don't khow if I would use it as your regular fan because of it's age and the luck you have with fans. It is still flexable, but but you can scratch off plastic with your fingernail.

I also have a red 13 blade TR6 fan you can borrow. Not sure if it will fit though.

Heck I also have a Tropical fan that you could borrow, but I need that one back for sure.

Let me know if I can help. I'll pm you with my phone number.

OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
TR4nut said:
...Please don't tell me that 2nd fan came from me!

Okay, I won't tell you.

Really, the fan looked fine when I installed it (and I looked really closely after my prior incident). These things don't last forever.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Geo I do not know much about tr4 fans but it looks like a tr3 fan would fit right on there. The 61 tr3 I bought had a longer hub and bolt and a tr3 fan. Someone once told me that what I had is a late tr3 or early tr4 set up, I am not sure. I was just thinking that if your 4 is early enough something like that could even be stock. Moreover, the tr3 stock fan looks stronger. If you get creative with the yellow fan, I am guessing that if you use a tr3 hub and short bolt you can bolt the yellow fan on without flipping it over because it looks like the 4 has the room. The flipping around gives you maybe an inch, either way I would go with the yellow fan and paint it black.
Steve

Perrymip

Jedi Hopeful
I have read that the TR4 hub is a bit longer than the TR3's and that substituting a TR3 hub facilitates the installation. But none of the regular vendors claim to have the yellow TR6 fan at this time, so you might consider an alternative. This Ebay seller makes the illusive adaptor for the red 13 blade TR6 fan. He also offers a variety of alloy hubs for different applications. Everything is a bit pricey, of course.

I've had the yellow TR6 fan on my TR3 for a long time and like it; it had to be mounted backwards. I've heard of other TR3 installations where the reversal wasn't necessary.

Your present setup should get you through your trip. You can use the electric fan in traffic, and, at highway speed, you won't need a fan.