• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A wheel paint

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just ordered a set of Vredesteins for the Tr3 thanks for your guys help in this matter. I worked out a deal with the tire shop to dismount the tires and store the new ones until I can recondition the wheels.

My question is what would be the proper paint for the steel wheels? 1960 TR3A commission # TS67708.

I may start on a fleshing up project on the 3 soon. May be this year or next. I do want it correct. There is a 69 TR6 there too waiting it's first restoration and I'm a little torn. The 3 was purchased on 1976 and the frame off restoration was completed in 1983. Tired paint, dings and horrible engine compartment and I can't bare to look at it after what it was.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Earlier cars had wheels painted to match body color but yours would have been silver. I don't have the paint code handy, but the rattle cans available from Moss and Eastwood are very close. You may want to add a clear coat also.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
MOSS and Eastwood have an "Argent Silver" that works well; I did mine 5 years ago, and it still looks nice. I second Frank's clear coat suggestion, as well....

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I third the motion for the Eastwood paint and clear. I would wait at least a week after painting before you handle them. I used Eastwoods Detail Silver on mine though. The paint color went very well with the brushed aluminum trim rings on my TR6. I also painted the center caps as well. I used four cans of the silver, and two clear. I did not use the clear on the back side.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Just my 2¢, but my car still has the original (?) steel wheels, all quite "experienced" and out of true, but with very old paint in the original body color - Signal Red.

Edit: Piggott (p. 87) says: " ... silver lacquer was the correct finish for TR3As and 3Bs with disc wheels." Also says in "from the TR3As the wheels were finished in a color described by the factory alternatively as "silver lacquer" and "aluminum wheel paint."

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You guys that clear coated the silver did you use a rattle can clear? Does the silver have a metallic in it?

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
TR3ATR250 said:
You guys that clear coated the silver did you use a rattle can clear?

Yep!

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Not sure, but doesn't all "silver" paint have metallic particles, I believe aluminum? But, the Eastwood wheel silver is authentic and their clear does not "yellow" with age.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I used spray cans marked Honda silver spray paint for the late 1960 TR3A we finished in 2006. My wife used to own a Honda Civic which was Silver. There was some left over from a re-spray job on the Honda so I used that for my wheels and had them clear coated too. They have always looked that same as when I bought my 1958 TR3A brand new.

Attachments

• 17827.jpg
    17827.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 176
OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ya Don looks great! Started to strip the wheels tonight and much to my surprise there is white paint under the silver. My car is white.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I have used silver/aluminum with clear coat and got what I think was a very close to original finish. That said, mine are now body color just because I liked the look. Possibly some day I'll return to correct (then whoever strips them 50 years from now can wonder why there is red under the silver).

I am surprised no one has mentioned powder coating. I have seen some wheels with PC that looked great and are presumably less prone to the edge marks often left by ham-handed tire mounting techniques.

Argent Silver (yes, I know that is what they call it) -- should be on the shelf next to Verde Green and Blanca White.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
In my own personal opinion, Argent Silver is redundant.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I am Canadian from French Canada. It's not redundant. It's bilingual. Just according to law. I have begun to see three languages on some products since Mexico is in the No. Amer. Free Trade area. But very recently, I have been seeing Chinese also added as a 4th language.

Is that a sign of the way it wirr be in the futule ?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don Elliott said:
Is that a sign of the way it wirr be in the futule ?
Resistance is futule!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Twosheds said:
In my own personal opinion, Argent Silver is redundant.

It may seem that way, but in reality it just means that it's <span style="font-weight: bold">French</span> silver as opposed to <span style="font-weight: bold">plata</span> silver. :laugh: