Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
GM evidently makes a good steering box lube. I am trying to track some down. It is supposed to be "thick" enough to resist leaking. Otherwise, I get steering box lube from a Model A supplier (Brattons in Maryland) It is made to replace the 600wt that ford specified, and has worked for years in various cars (TR3s, and XK120s) with no ill effects. Other folks probably use other things, your results may be different, etc.....
The factory service manual shows Hypoid 90W, EP SAE90. This is the same stuff we have been recommending for lubing the trunnions and is commonly used in boat motor lower drives.
Yep, thanks. Did a little research and found that the EP is extreme pressue and, to quote, "Oils with "EP" ratings (Extreme Pressure) such as EP90 are required.
Some brands describe themselves as "hypoid" instead, a term which is
synonymous with EP. GL-5 is a formal API standard for this type of oil
SO my question now is GL-5 OK or does it need to be GL-4?
GL5 contains sulphur (I think) that is known to attack brass and bronze. I don't know if the steering box has any brass or bronze but would be careful about using the GL5.
I'll be pulling my steering box cover this week to change fluid so I'll look.
Dunno, but original TR2-3 service instruction manual (from Standard Triumph) uses the EP designation. Although it lists several different brands names, Hypoid EP 90 is most frequent.
I think "C" stands for Cheers. So have a cold one after your done filing it.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.