• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A, Starter motor

GrahamW

Freshman Member
I have a TR3A with an early "bull nose" starter. There was a rattle when the starter was operated which sometimes carried on for a few seconds after the engine fired. Sounded to be comming from the strater and I assumed the pinnion was jamming on the ring. Took off the starter, flywheel and ring look good. Starter looks OK except on the shaft inside the Bull nose" there are two very loose fitting thick washers / spacers and a machined grove in the shaft. Looks as though something is missing.

Any suggestions?

GrahamW

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There is supposed to be a "locating ring" in that groove, and a collar that fits over it to lock it into place ("locating ring cover" in the diagram). One of your "thick washers" might be the collar, or it may be that some misguided rebuilder has tried to replace the collar with the wrong part.

Without the ring, the armature can drift towards the flywheel and allow the gear teeth to drag, which may be your rattling sound.

The collar is supposed to ride against the end housing with some small clearance, something like .005" to .010". ISTR one of my original starters actually had some shims at the other end, to limit the end float of the armature.

Attachments

• 22246.jpg
    22246.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 232
OP
G

GrahamW

Freshman Member
Thanks a lot. This is a great help. I've searched on line but cannot find parts for the early starter. Moss only do a modern replacement. I've got a few emails out but $200 + for a replacement is a lot for replaceing the locking ring. Any ideas?

Thanks again

Graham

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
It's kinda like a snap ring but just a plain ring of metal, split and somewhat springy. If you had one to take with you it might be possible to find something at the hardware store that would work. I have enver seen one on another TR part but I haven't seen everything.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry, I don't know of a source either. I made what appeared to be an adequate substitute, out of heavy iron wire (probably old coat hangar, but not sure offhand). It needs to be large enough diameter that the cover fits snugly over the wire with the wire bottomed in the groove, but of course no larger than that.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Since you're in CA, you might try these guys:
CAE, Inc.
14710 Lull Street
Van Nuys, CA 91405

NFI, but the father of the owner's has Lucas rebuilding certificates/accreditations.
They rebuilt my TR6 starter and alternator for a reasonable price; it helped they're 10 minutes from work. Otherwise you might try a local rebuilder in your town.