• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Radiator Hoses

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
BCF Friends,
Well, after a bit of a break from working on my 39 TR3A, I'm starting to regain my mojo and want to get back to the garage and visit my British girl. With newly rebuilt engine (yes, and leaky modern rear seal - S%#T!), I am also having coolant leaks. I purchased a hose kit from a major vendor but the large radiator hoses (Taiwan manufacture) appear to be too large in diameter and don't seal well at all with hose clamps. I have leaks at the water pump/hose connection and at the radiator coupling to lower hose. Can anyone recommend where I can purchase a nice set of the large diameter radiator hoses that may fit better than these cheap ones?

Secondly, the upper radiator hose that flows from the water pump to the lower radiator coupling (the one fitted with the solid pipe in between) fouls the frame. I'm sure this upper hose should not be touching the frame. Any photos of this installed properly? I have manipulated the hard pipe and hoses every which way and am still having the problem.

Thanks much - I'll follow up with photos tonight.

Pat

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I recently replaced my TR3A hoses with ones from TRF and all fit perfectly.

On your other question -- are you sure you have that steel pipe the right way 'round? I'm thinking it has a bend in it and the bend is not midway (i.e. the pipe is not symetrical end-to-end). A close look at the manual (or even the Moss catalog) may show the way it goes, if not I can get some pics.

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Geo
Here are photos of my install. and a snapshot from Moss catalog. Looks like hard pipe has bend at bottom hose, which is how I am set up. Look closely and you can see how upper hose fouls shock mount. These are TRF hoses, but they are pretty large diameter and hose clamps really have to squeeze and reduce their diameter to tighten and seal. They look like fat little balloons when the engine is at temperature. Any thoughts on this install? Anyone have any photos or description of what I'm doing wrong here?

Pat

triumphradiator001.jpg

triumphradiator002.jpg

triumphradiator003.jpg
triumphradiator004.jpg

triumphradiator005.jpg

RadiatorHardPipe.jpg

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
DNK said:
Pat, Resident of the state?

Hi Don - I don't understand? Do you mean am I a prisoner? No, I got out a few years ago but couldn't bear to leave. hah!

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
I don't claim knowledge of nor experience with the Belgrove cars, but here's the thread when I went through this with the 4A. It all went down to building from the bottom up and then twisting the pipe toward the engine to clear the frame, etc. Scroll down and you'll see a picture not half as nice as te ones provided by Pat.

Good luck.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u...Pipe#Post688288

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
And here is my pipe. That's the original which came with my TR3A new from the factory. The bend is near the bottom. I notice you have a new rad. Looks nice. Is the lower pipe inlet in the correct place ?

Attachments

• 23474.jpg
    23474.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 293

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Pat,

I got my hoses from TRF and have no leaks, but I didn't order the 'kit' and ended up only ordering a single lower hose (instead of 2). I didn't notice it until I was at a point that I didn't want to wait an extra second, as I was ready to start the engine. I took the lower hose I had to a local auto parts store as a match, and walked out with a universal type and cut out the section I needed. Actually, now I can't tell if it was the lower or upper one, but it doesn't foul on anything, doesn't leak and I didn't have to wait. As I recall it cost about the same as one I ordered.

That engine looks great.

Jer

Attachments

• 23477.jpg
    23477.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 269

Tugboat

Country flag
Jeez Pat,
That engine compartment looks cleaner than my desk, house and conscience. You are going to be sooo disappointed when we go riding in my old school TR3 when it warms up around here again.
Mike

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey Jer
It looks like maybe I should cut upper hose shorter where it ties to water pump to clear the steering column bracket. Yours appears to have good clearance. Mine is riding on bracket.

Thanks for the chuckle Mike. It's easy to keep your engine and parts looking clean when your car is just a $15,000 garage paperweight!!

Pat