• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Dash and Instrument Cluster Installation

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Afternoon, I'm fast approaching the point that I'll be ready to install the dash and the instrument cluster. The wiring harness is wired to the instrument cluster. My question is: do I install the instrument cluster into the dash and then mount the two units in the dash position? Or do I mount the dash get secured and THEN mount the instrument cluster?
I'm asking this based on my history of putting the cart before the horse in a number of sub-assemblies on this project and I really HATE do-overs.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tinkerman

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
While I've not tried it the other way, I think it will be easier if you mount the dash first, and then deal with the instrument panel.

In fact, I probably would have mounted the dash before wiring the panel, but hopefully the panel will fit through the hole
grin.gif

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Dick, I have to agree that mounting the fascia (dash) first is IMO the better approach. I covered all of the vynide with easy release painter's tape to avoid damage. We left all of the securing hardware, fasteners, etc fairly loose so we could remove the fascia quickly if necessary.

Cheers,

Frank

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
I just did mine a few weeks ago. I put the dash in first. I had wired the cluster piece before I tried to put it into the dash. I had numbered the harness wires when I disconnected them. I put a corresponding number on a short piece of wire attached to the gauge or connection on the cluster. Anyway I used some masking tape to loosely attach the cluster to the dash. I then wired it all up without too many issues. I will suggest that the two connections with several wires going into the same connector will be better connected by using a wire nut and a short piece of wire. Putting only a single wire into the connector on the instrument cluster.

Country flag
Dick

Put the Dash in first,then instrument cluster but what about the heater? If its not in already,put the heater before the dash.

Marv

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Marvin, the heater is in. Gordon, I find two grommet holes in the center of the upper edge of the scuttle panel. One directly behind the other. Are these the grommet holes you are talking about? I would have no trouble getting to either one of them at this point. I can see it would be almost impossible once the dash and cluster are installed. I really appreciate you pointing that out to me, because I would have missed it.

Thanks, Dick

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
Yes Dick, those are the holes the wire for the vent pull go thru. You have already guessed how I know.....I missed it the first time!
Gordon

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
The value of the forum are folks like you Gordon! Thanks very much, Dick

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Dick make sure you put in the defroster vents when you do the dash. I found that cleaning the threads on the studs that hold the dash make it easier also.
Steve

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Thanks Steve, good point.