Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Not necessary, I ran without one for many years. But I did finally add one after all these years, just because I was tired of looking into the neck and wondering if it was losing coolant or not.
The only real problem is that the original cap was not designed to hold vacuum (so the water wouldn't get sucked back in as the radiator cooled). So I had the radiator shop change the neck to take a modern cap. Used a TR4-6 overflow bottle & bracket, mounted to the inner fender beside the radiator on the passenger side. Kind of a tight spot with the apron installed, but works well enough for me. Since the line from the radiator is all downhill, I can fill the tank (if necessary) from the radiator neck.
PS, I do seem to still be losing coolant very slowly. Not sure where it's going.
I could never get the recovery half of the equation to work so I just check to be sure there is a quarter inch or so in the bottom of the neck (cold) and leave it at that.
On the TR4 I did add a 4A recovery bottle as there is no neck or header tank on the late TR4 and a bottle lets the top of the radiator be full. On that cap the recovery works fine.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.