• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A -- Convertable top

deadair

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'm ready to spring on a top for my '60 TR3A.

TRF seems to make a lot of noise about being the best, but their prices seems way too high. Even their current 'sale' prices are much higher than Moss.

Moss has always had a reputation for higher prices, but their top prices are MUCH better than TRF's.

EglishParts.com has the best prices, but I'm not sure how their tops compare to those sold by the big two.

On the question of quality, as anyone had the chance to compare the tops from these three vendors? Are TRF tops superior enough to warrant the price difference?

Below are the current prices from these three vendors:

TRF:
Robbins material 399.91
British Everflex material 689.91
Sunfast canvas material 729.91

Moss
Black Vinyl $299.95
Black Sun-Fast canvas $599.95

English Parts
black - heavy duty material $ 338.72
black - everflex material $ 380.15
Canvas hood. Black $ 453.49

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Dead ...When I finally was ready to add a top for my 60 3A I looked around...and ended up going with Roadster for the Robbins top...in black on my red car. Very happy with the top. The person who installed it did a great job with the
location of the lift-a-dot fastners...and I ended up with a
nice snug fitting top. Here in California where we live... I
have to say...the top is not up much...but on the weekend trips it is nice to have along. Gil NoCal

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
In case you do not get the TRF emails, Friday edition sez:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]ONE WEEK SALE, "Robbins Convertible Tops, Robbins Tonneau Covers, Convertible Top Boots Manufactured by The Magic Carpet Factory"-Take 28% discount Off LIST PRICES-Find Part Numbers in Any Web Site Catalogue-Ends at 8:00 A.M. on Friday, April 29, 2011.[/QUOTE]

OP
deadair

deadair

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
In case you do not get the TRF emails, Friday edition sez:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]ONE WEEK SALE, "Robbins Convertible Tops, Robbins Tonneau Covers, Convertible Top Boots Manufactured by The Magic Carpet Factory"-Take 28% discount Off LIST PRICES-Find Part Numbers in Any Web Site Catalogue-Ends at 8:00 A.M. on Friday, April 29, 2011.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm receiving their emails and the above prices reflect their current "sale."

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
It shows up as $399.91 for me too - but if you take 28% off of their list price you'd get $338.. might be worth a call if interested.

OP
deadair

deadair

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I should reiterate that I'm mostly interested about comments on the quality of the tops from the above and other vendors. My decision is not entirely driven by price. I'm willing to pay more for higher quality. Stating the obvious, if the quality is the same or similar, then it comes down to the price.

TRF is very "chatty" about the quality of their tops and side curtains. I'd like to find out how much merit is behind their claims. I haven't noticed much, if any, difference in parts quality between TRF and other vendors in the past.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
deadair said:
...I double checked and it still says:

RB2234 Convertible Top, Robbins material 399.91

https://trf.zeni.net/wc/specials6.16/4.php

But on this page it's $319.97 --

https://trf.zeni.net/TR2-TR3Handbook/32.php

I like TRF but it seems they do talk up their product a bit more than the other vendors -- sometimes with good reason, sometimes it is (IMO) just hype.

<span style="font-style: italic">Oops -- although a search on their website does turn up that page, I see it is for a sale than ended last January!</span>

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If your gonna go with Prestige, be sure to shop the UK site. For quite a while it was cheaper to get them straight from the UK and not the US Dist.
Been a while since I checked this out though.
Do your homework. Their work is first rate. ask Mickey

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
George...Nice job digging out the TRF Robbing top @ $319 price. I am quite sure that is very close to the price I paid TRF a year and a half ago for this top...which is quite a savings from the list price...and still $80 saving of the current special price. Notice that this $319 price has to be ordered in the next couple of days. Quality wise...I am really quite happy with the Robbins. Gil NoCal

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I had my original side curtains restored by TRF five years ago and they are perfect. The workmanship and materials are excellent. I highly recommend them for anyone who wants their original curtains restored.

Paul

OP
deadair

deadair

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
Okay -- if you use their parts search and look for p/n RB2204/B it will show the black Robbins top (RB2234) at the $319 price until April 28.

https://secure.zeni.net/trf/

Thanks for the tip, Geo. Since $319 was close enough to the Moss price, I opted for the TRF top.

I'd still like someone who has first-hand experience comparing the current crop of tops from the top triumph vendors to comment on the quality question.