• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A clutch&brake master cylinders

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My tr3 came with a post 6k tub.MC for brake and clutch need repair/replace.
Most new cylinders I have seen for sale have the front port angled forward,while mine has both ports straight.I realize I can make the angled ones work,and havent given up on reuilding what I have ,but what is the difference in application.
Thanks
Tom

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Tom-

Someone else will likely correct me, but the straight ports version is original to the car but has not been available in replacement form for quite some time. I'm not sure if there actually was an application difference, just something Girling or others changed to at some point. If you want to be going heavily for originality, consider having the mc's sleeved and rebuilt - otherwise the angled version should work just fine.

Randy

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Randy ,
originality isnt an issue,but if i can clean bore with hone I will rebuild.The new ones are an option,although then I need new lines.Was just wondering about year differences.
Next step,see if after soaking I cn use air pressure to blow the pistons out of the bore.
Thanks
Tom

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Tom,

I think another difference between the angled and vertical output cylinders is the the angled one require an adapter fitting so that the flanged piping will seal properly. I can't recall if the new angled master cylinders come with that piece.

If the bores of your current master cylinders are not deeply scored a rebuild should not be difficult. Even if they are several vendors the insert a sleeve in the master cylinders making them as good as new.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Looking in my TR3 Spare Parts Catalogue, I come up with three differnet numbers. The first is 203494 which went from Commission number TS13046 to TS34310. From TS34311 the part number is 122167. To further complicate things, they list part number 130561 farther down the list for use after TS13056.

My guess would be that the change happened at TS34311.

When I first got my TR3 (TS23677L) in the mid '80s, it had one of each on the car. So, apparently one was already changed with the later style.

Piggott says the master cylinder change at TS34311 was for the seal to cure excessive pedal travel. He also says that there were other minor changes in the Girling braking system. Possibly referring to the angled outlet. :confuse:

Edit: Tom, what's your original commission number??? Does it fit into the part breakdown??

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dave and Art thanks,
The number on the cyl. is 310660,so dont know how that fits the breakdown.
My com. number is ts37 something ,but I have a ts6k+ tub.
The bores look like they can be saved,Not sure about improvements for soft pedal,unless internals are different.Looks like if I go new I can bend the lines,but not sure if the fittings match ater mention of possible required adapter.
Thanks
Tom

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Tom, be careful if you hone the brake master cylinder rather than sleeving it, as there's no fail safe split braking system.

I've had a total brake failure with a rebuilt M/C, and on inspection found a tiny almost invisible score that had caused the pressure loss. Thank heavens the hand brake wasn't made by Lucas !!!.

It's also worth dismantling and cleaning the restrictor valve down on the frame beneath the carbies, as they gunk up. Keep note of the parts sequence for correct re-assembly.

Regards,

Viv

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Viv,
Thanks.I have the internals out but have yet to take a pass with hone to see if they are useable.New ones are cheap enough,bu apparently they list thread size as 3/8- 24,but the ones I have with straight up ports have two different thread sizes,so that may be why an adapter for one port, or new lines are required.
Thanks
Tom

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
My 1958 TR3A (TS 27489 LO) came new in May 1958 with all 4 inputs and outputs at the top end of the clutch as well as the brake mastter cylinders parallel to each other and vertical. Then about 1962, I had to change the master cylinder for the clutch and it had an angled outlet where it was supplied from British Leyland (they owned S-T by then) and I ran with this angled master cylinder for years. Then to conform to "originality", I found a correct scrap one and had it sleeved in Long Island with a brass tubular insert. Now it is correct as per all late TR2s, all TR3s and some of the early TR3As - possibly up to the Comm. No. referenced above.

Attachments

• 22123.jpg
    22123.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 153

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don Elliott said:
Now it is correct as per all late TR2s, all TR3s
Sorry, Don, not correct for any TR2 nor early TR3. They had Lockheed brake/clutch systems, and the clutch MC was in the same cast iron housing as the brake MC.

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Don,I dont know about originality,but your finished photo is what my set up looks like,but I may be going to new angled replacements.Nice detail,I am going for gloss black also.
Did you replate your winshield wiper motor and cable tubes,or are they New.
If so is it Cadmium?
Tom