• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 WINDSCREEN: HOW TO INSTALL??

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks,

I`m starting to play with my TR3 Windscreen. I`m certain there must have been a thread on the "Best, Easiest" method to install it. Meaning; The "Stanchions 1st", Then the Windscreen or the entire Ass`y. with the assistance of 2 or more people?

Thanx in Advance,

Russ

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
When I replaced mine, I had one person help me. It would be a good idea to make a note of which screws came out of which holes because there are different sizes. The biggest problem I had was with installing the frame over the new glazing strip on the glass. I don't remember where I purchased it from, but it was too thick. I ended up using black cloth tape for the strip. It worked great. Take your time and you will need more than one set of hands. One of my friends attempted to do it by themselves and broke the glass. Good luck!

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
One thing I do when I replace the windscreen is use a lot of tape. I put the rubber around the edge of the glass and tape in around and around the glass before sticking the glass into the frame. I suggest do not frugal with the tape because the tape holds a lot better when go completely around the glass with the tape. After you everything in place and back in the frame, you simple trim out the rubber and the tape for a nice clean finish. In addition, the bottom rubber piece if often too large and a real pain to fit in the small channel of the lower frame. There is perhaps a good supplier of the lower rubber, but I always end up fighting it with soap or wd40. For that reason, you what to put the lower rubber on before you fit the lower frame with rubber on to the glass.
Steve

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I might be confused, but it sounds like Russ already has the frame on the glass, and is just assembling the frame to stanchions & car.

You more or less have to assemble the stanchions to the frame first, as the gasket at the bottom fits into a slot in the frame, plus gets attached to the stanchions with screws and retaining plates. Anyway, that's the way I've always done it.

And generally, I've just installed the assembly to the car by myself. It does take a modicum of upper body strength I guess, to lean over the car holding the assembly and set the other side down on it's bracket ... but it's pretty easy compared to, say, lifting the gearbox into place. Doing it with two people is kind of tricky as well, and actually more likely to wind up damaging the paint or bodywork, IMO.

Be careful when you install the screws that hold the stanchions to the frame. They are NOT all the same length, and installing one of the longer bottom screws into an upper hole may crack the glass. The threads aren't real strong either (the frame is just brass on most cars, and not very thick), so don't go overboard on tightening them.

Perrymip

Jedi Hopeful
I concur that it's a one-person job to reinstate the assembled windscreen, but that's mainly because I've never tried any other way.

I wrap a towel around one of the stanchion feet and aim that at the far side, letting it rest against on the far side guide; I start the near side stanchion onto the guide plate. I then walk around the car, remove the towel and start the second onto its guide plate.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Steve what kind of tape are you referring to?

Thanks, Tinkerman

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Randall & All,

Your correct. The frame work around my windscreen is already in place & "Good to Go". I was referring to mounting the "Completed" Ass`y to the tub without potentially destroying the paint job!!

So; As I anticipated; "Stanchions 1st" & then slide the Windscreen between them making sure of the bolts being in the exact same location. I did`nt think about that so; "THANX" for that Hds Up!

Regards, Russ

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I may have misunderstood your reply, Russ. My point was that the stanchions have to be assembled to the frame around the glass first, before installing them on the car. Otherwise it is impossible to properly install the lower seal.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Dick I did not see your note. I use blue masking tape, but a black masking tape would perhaps do a nicer job because you can see the edge/tip of the tape if you look real hard. I think the original color tape was the cream color stuff that everybody use to use.
Steve

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Depending on the amount of leaking that you can tolerate,I suggest using some windshield urethane instead of the old tape.You must use a few pieces of the old tape to "shim" the glass into alignment with the frame,but once set this is 100%
Also worth mentioning is that there are some seals for the lower frame to body that just dont fit....
MD(mad dog)