• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 vacuum tube

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm looking for the correct routing and any clips, grommets used in the mounting of the vacuum line. My car is a late 1956 commission # TS148XX. From what I've seen so far I think the line bends behind the by-pass hose and goes thru the clamp for the fuel line under the temp housing. Any body got a picture of what that clamp looks like? And does the line clip onto the solid line before it goes under the temp housing, and what type of clip is used? Is the line clipped to the flexible braided line on the carb side of the engine bay? I see Moss has a nice double clip and grommet for the later TR3 and TR4 cars.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm by no means positive, but I think it was clipped to the fuel line in one or two other places (besides the clip attached to the Tstat housing), using the same clip used to fasten the temperature gauge line to the fuel line.

If you look in the early driver's instruction manual (or in the front of the Bentley), you can see one of those clips in the photo of the water pump grease nipple. They cropped that photo in later editions, which might be because the clips were deleted after the rubber insert was added to the clip at the housing.

Fig 6 closeup vacuum line.jpg

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks Randall, I still have a few of those ties.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW I noticed on my car that the vacuum line actually misses the clip attached to the Tstat housing and is just tie-wrapped to the fuel line in two places. It doesn't look like it ever went through the clip at the housing, nor would it fit very well into it. Proves absolutely nothing, it's been apart many times and I'm not the original owner. But it has worked well that way for a lot of years.

Sorry I can't be more definitive. I was hoping that Don Elliott would be by, but I haven't heard from him lately. Anyone know if he was at VTR/TRfest?

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks again Randal, the way you describe it was one of the ways I've heard is correct. The line runs just behind the clip and not through it. The clip that was on my car would not fit both lines either. I've found some of Don's post from other forums but all the pictures have been removed. I envy all the guys that build their cars to drive them and enjoy. This concours stuff will drive you crazy.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Every time I see this subject line, I'm thinking where the heck would the TR3 use vacuum tubes (electronic)? :smile:

Scott

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
In the optional radios...
Right. Even the first "transistor powered" radios mounted on the hump actually had 4 tubes inside (and only one transistor).

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I think at one time Frank Angelini had some good pictures of the early style clip but I can't find them - the early clip is just a simple metal tab with a hole, where I believe you put a grommet in it then the fuel line. The vacuum doesn't go through it. Later clips have that bent loop style where there is a nice rubber piece that holds both the fuel and vacuum lines.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I think at one time Frank Angelini had some good pictures of the early style clip but I can't find them - the early clip is just a simple metal tab with a hole, where I believe you put a grommet in it then the fuel line.
There may have been different types fitted, but all of my early TR3As have had a clip that is folded around the line and goes under the nut twice. No grommet. Except for the opening being larger, it looks just like the clip that supports the oil pressure line at the fuel pump.

There is also no grommet listed in the TR3 SPC (tho there is one listed in the TR4 SPC, with the later style clip).

Here's a photo from Don Elliott, from his TS27489LO. Except for the cad plating (mine are just rust colored), the clip looks the same.

Don Elliott Fuel Line.JPG

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Ah, I misremembered some of this - I tried to find some other pictures to help but struck out - for early cars I think the p-clip like Don and Randall notes is correct, then later cars (mine was TS45000 ish) had the simple metal tab, the grommet may have been wishful thinking on my part. Very late cars, and perhaps only TR4 onward?, had the bent loop style. When I tried to find some info, I did see on the TR Register site that they note two of the capillary clips are used to tie the vacuum line to the fuel line.

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks Randy and Randall. I think the two clips or ties were used with the TR2 with the solid fuel line behind the carbs. Not sure on mine with the braided line with the banjo fittings on the front of the carbs. Maybe only one clip was used before the P-clip . Also Randall I can't seem to enlarge your recent photo of Don's car or some others, anybody else have this problem?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Also Randall I can't seem to enlarge your recent photo of Don's car or some others, anybody else have this problem?
Hmm, doesn't even work for me! Don't know what happened. But I'll try uploading to Photobucket this time, instead of BCF. Maybe that will work better.

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks Randall. I was able to enlarge your picture this time and is a great help.