• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 turn signal issue

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
This problem sounds familiar to me, as it we discussed it somewhere. The TR3 that is in the Sacramento car museum has a problem with the turn signals. Right turn works but left does not. They blink very fast. If you turn on left, you get the right signals. The left never turn on.
history: The lights were all working two months ago. Since then they replaced the radiator(took the front shroud off), replaced the generator.

I think this is a simple problem, they are ready to pull the turn signal unit out of the steering column but I think that is the last resort.
Help???

Jerry

fpstude

Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the input. We spent time tracing wires last week. This was made more difficult due to changes made throughout the years. Wires going in a taped harness came out a different color. Now all of the lights work as they should, except for the speed of the blinking. It's very rapid, so much so that the dash indicator only lights once, then can't keep up. Possibly the LED lights added to the rear are the issue.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I have seen somewhere that you need a different flasher unit with LED bulbs. The original type relied on resistance to cause it to flash. LEDs do not provide enough resistance.
Maybe on Moss or Macys Tech tips

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I have seen somewhere that you need a different flasher unit with LED bulbs. The original type relied on resistance to cause it to flash. LEDs do not provide enough resistance...

Yes, that is correct. The usual fix is an electronic flasher that doesn't require any load to operate such as the links below. The other alternative is to install load resistors, but that's a PITA.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...rs/cf13jl-02-led-bulb-electronic-flasher/783/
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat...,60,3607:Type,LED_Motorcycle_Flasher,60,3608:

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Fast blinking usually means too much load...like when you connect a trailer and these "old style" blinker relays would speed up. It could also be a bad signal relay, but not if it blinks normal speed in the other direction. Unfortunately, to fast with no trailer usually means a short somewhere.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
The rear LEDs are from MOSS and I think they have a "load" built into them. Also, they were working when originally installed. I would still check with a new flasher.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
A bad flasher relay would be bad in both directions, so very not likely your flasher relay.

Read "load" as you have a short in the direction that blinks fast. That would be in the left turn wire from the switch in the trafficator to the left lights...somewhere...

fpstude

Silver
Country flag
We tried the flasher out of my TR4A today and the lights operated at a normal rate on both sides. I picked up a new flasher today on the way home and it will be installed next week. Thanks for the input provided, the forum is great.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds like you got it fixed with a different flasher, but for future searchers...

Yes, that is correct. The usual fix is an electronic flasher that doesn't require any load to operate such as the links below. The other alternative is to install load resistors, but that's a PITA.

Load resistors can be added pretty easily by JBWelding a couple of magnets to the bottom and fitting ends on the leads that connect to the usual bullet connector for power and to the screw that holds the front ground clip.

The resistors can then be tucked well under the apron with the magnets holding on the inner fender.

LoadResistors_zpsdd4bfbda.jpg

The (small) advantage here is that you retain the original Lucas FL5 flasher which has a prominent spot on the firewall.