Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I have a TR3a (1961), am looking to replace my old radial Dunlop tires on it...
curious what others have found that both look good, and also drive well... Also curious about affordable options, really surprised by prices I'm finding.
What works will depend in part on what wheels you have. Assuming they are stock steel or wires then it will depend on what 'drive well' means to you.
Closest to an original look & driving experience is probably something in 165/80 15. These are skinny compared to 'modern' tires so you get the traditional handling from them. They are what I prefer for much of my driving.
Wider tires are possible on the stock rims but not a lot wider. For something in 195 or 205 you will need a wider rim, I have 195/65s that I use for some longer road trips or just for a change.
Brands with 165s available come and go, mostly they have gone. Last 2 sets I got were Kuhmos and Nexens. Of those I prefer the Nexens. I order from an online source and have them shipped directly to me.
Since you ask about affordable options: This is where I got the Nexens and Kuhmos though I see neither there now. Know nothing about those 'Federals' though the Vred Sprint Classics are, of course, very good tires.
I have been more than satisfied with the Vredesteins I put on 9 years ago. I paid about $100.00 each for four. The ride is smooth on my steel wheels and the grip is super on twisty roads. I have driven 30,000 miles on them since 2004 and there is still about 40 to 50% of the tread left. I'll buy new ones next year because I will not drive any car where the tires are 10 years old or older. Check the date (year) of manufacture on your Dunlop radials and don't drive any more on them if more than 10 years old. You will find this moulded into the sidewall. If it reads 0202, it means they were made during week 2 of 2002. If they read 992 they were made during week 9 of 1992.
I'm with Don on the Vredesteins. The car handles superbly with them. However I wish they were available in white walls. Every time I walk by my car now I shake my head because of those ugly black wall tires. Tr3s deserve white walls. Like you I was shocked to see the prices of tires. Particularly white walled. So $ won out over looks. It's all about what you want.
I also have Vredesteins 165 Sports Classics on steel wheels and they are great. I got them from XK Unlimited in Calif.
interfx, I sent you a private message.
Since this has turned into a love-fest for the Vredesteins, I'll mention that I recently got a set and found that these guys had the best price on the size I needed:
Well after searching for a while for local options, I ended up with Kumho Power Star 758 (165/80R-15 87T BSW) at DiscountTire for $71.00 balanced/installed. Tires look just fine, and ride a lot better than my 1978 Dunlop Gold Cup (with tubes).
Should have seen the look of the guys in the shop when I pulled in...
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.