• Hey Guest!
    British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!

    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)

TR2/3/3A TR3 STEERING GEAR BOX FLUID

mountainman

Jedi Trainee
Offline
I am down to just a few minor thing, before my first test drive of my TR3. Haynes manual calls for Castrol Hypoy in the steering gear box. Can I use Red Line 75w90 gear oil instead?
I have some left over from my rear axle oil change.
Thanks
Greg
 
Should do fine (noting the part about leaks). I've been running Valvoline full synthetic 75W90 in mine for several years, and it works great.

If your box does leak, I heartily recommend changing the bushing and seal. It made a world of difference in my steering. Made me wish I'd done it years before!
 
Aloha Greg,

I think the Redline gear oil will be fine. It might even be beneficial if the steering box has been dry for sometime. The gear oil will soak rocker shaft bushing better than grease or thicker oils. The Steering box should not leak if the oil seal, shims, gaskets and olive are working.

I use gear oil in my steering box but also add a smear of grease to the cam and peg.

Good luck and enjoy your test drive.
 
Back
Top