• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Replacement Radiator

TRclassic3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Does anyone have first hand experieince with replacement radiators offered by Moss/VB?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I have a Moss radiator without the crank hole. Been in for a couple of years. Fit fine, no problems.

OP
TRclassic3

TRclassic3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks! Appreciate the feedback.

Might repair existing, just weighing the options. Moss has a sale right now that is making that option even more appealing.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I had a leak in my rad in 1972 (80250 miles) when I pushed my 1958 TR3A over in the corner of my garage. During the restoration from 1987 to 1990, I had a new 5-tube core unstalled with the hole for the crank. The rad shop soldered the core into the original frame and headers. Since then, with a pusher electric fan (which I only need to use in traffic), I have driven another 104,000 miles with no real issues.

Attachments

• 21970.jpg
    21970.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 258

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you do get your existing radiator recored, ask the shop about reinforcing the joint between the extension and the upper tank. I've struggled with that joint cracking and leaking for years; never thought to ask for a modification beyond repairing it yet again. But when I asked, he said "Oh yeah, we can lay some copper tubing in there and it will add a lot of strength."

The result looks good, much stronger and almost unnoticeable with the radiator installed. Too soon to say how much it will help, but I'm hopeful it will solve the problem permanently.

OP
TRclassic3

TRclassic3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
And in fact there is now some evidence that there may be an issue at the joint as well. Never had a problem there before, but tell tale residue would indicate my luck ran out. Thanks for the tip Randall. Would you happen to have a pic of that?

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Powder cvoating is thick and will stay fully adhered to all surfaces for 30 to 50 years.

I'm not sure I'd want that on the fins and on the core tubes. I want the radiator to lose the heat through the fins and the core tubes and powder coating would be a great insulator to keep all the heat inside the radiator.

Therefore it sounds to me like you will have serious overheating issues.

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
For sure - they are very clear on that. They only powder coat the upper and lower tanks and the filler extension, not the fins. But the aluminum design they speak about makes for a much cooler running car.

There was a guy who drove his TR from Texas to the TRA who had this rad with powdercoating) Beside driving it from Texas he also runs his car as a daily driver in the Texas heast with no issues - he completely credits the aluminum rad and its design aspects for fixing all his overheating issues.

Perrymip

Jedi Hopeful
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]replacement radiators offered by Moss/VB?[/QUOTE]

I did buy one of the Moss replacements (with the crank hole) (made in China). The installation was straight forward, a good fit, and, so far, functioning quite well. I saved the old one just in case, but I feel good about the fresh start, and it has become very pricey to get a good reconstruction--or, even to find someone who is capable of a good reconstruction, price-no-object.

With that neck joint: it is a notorious weak spot. I have constantly to remind myself, after fifty-plus years, to support the neck with one hand, and remove the cap with the other.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Have the radiator shop check out the condition to the original.. I had taken mine in during the restoration 30 years ago and the owner said the metal they used in those days was much heavier and could be striped cleaned and repaired. Plus you get to keep the original radiator. It started leaking about 5 years ago and took it back to the same guy and he said the same thing. It's back in the car again and working fine.