• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 rack and pinion conversion /turn signals

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
I just purchased a rack and pinion conversion kit from Moss/UK for my 61 TR3. The directions could be better, but it seems pretty straight forward. Anyways, the one thing that is never mentioned in the directions is how to replace the turn signal wires, if it's even possible. You have to remove the steering wheel turn signal head with the wires and all, but I just don't see a way of replacing the original turn signals. If anyone has any ideas or has done this before, please let me know your ideas or solutions. The only thing I can think of at this point is an aftermarket turn signal switch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OP
bluemiata90

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
Those are both good ideas. I forgot to mention that in the directions, they suggested that I switch out the original steering wheel with a 15" or 14" wheel. Did you do that or did you keep the original wheel. They stated that the difference in steering would be very noticable with a smaller wheel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
From Bob Schaller's book "More BS about TR's" [on the subject of an R&P conversion]...

"We substituted a Spitfire (turn signal) switch, mounted to the lower edge of the dash panel just inside the left rim of the wheel. Otherwise, the upper TR3 column and wheel is used."

He also has a photo of a slip-ring modification on the steering column that allows the use of the original horn button.

Yes, you probably don't need that 17" TR3 steering wheel but even the TR4 has a 16" w/ R&P. I don't think I'd like the look of a little 14" wheel. Unless the big wheel bothers you I'd keep it (and the elbows-out driving style that is sooooo TR3).

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I did change to a 15" moto lita wheel, but that was done in December of 05. I did the R&P in 2002, I haven't driven the that much to notice a big difference.

D

Deleted member 451

I did my steering convertion about three years ago using the kit from the guys in Virginia. Everything about the conversion was easy except the horn wiring. I tried everything including coiled wire and no matter what I tried it would catch on something under the hood and pull other wires loose. I finally installed a button in the dash after about two years of trying to keep it in the hub. I used a MGA turn signal switch also in the dash so it would self cancel.

startech47

Jedi Knight
A possibility that comes to mind is to adapt a clock spring wiring unit from a late model car. This is a device sort of like a slip ring unit, but I believe it uses a spiral wrapped flex circuit with permanent hard wired copper connections instead of rings and brushes, like an alternator. I have not done any research yet, but will as I wish to retain the trafficator during the conversion.

OP
bluemiata90

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
I just purchased a universal chrome turn signal switch off of Ebay. It is the one that was suggested above. I haven't received it yet and I don't know how it's going to work, but I will keep you posted.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...Everything about the conversion was easy except the horn wiring. I tried everything including coiled wire and no matter what I tried it would catch on something under the hood and pull other wires loose...

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the photo I referenced (Bob's book is worth getting if it is still in print). Vague, but should give you ideas:

R&P-slip-ring.JPG