• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Overdrive filter drain plug

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It's been some time since I've been on here, sorry about that. I've been in the lonely world of TVR restoration. Anybody needing information on Triumphs can easily get it here.

Has anyone had any success in getting the large brass drain plug in the bottom of the A-type O/D sealed. I tried a hard rubber ring this time and I still have the leak. The fiber washer TRF sells for the sealing ring barley fits and leaks as well. Any ideas?

Keith

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I make a paper gasket out of my .060 vellumoid gasket paper stock.I cut the id slightly small so it sort of threads on so it stays centered after going over the threads.
Then a smear of never seize on the outside face of the gasket .No sealer on the trans side.Seals for me.
Tom

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I recently had my A-type apart and refitted the drain plug with a light smear of lock tight on the threads, I also fitted quat rings to the selector shafts and now for the first time I have no oil leaks from the box:tennis:

Graham

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Go to Ace and buy a 2 mil o-ring. Seals like a champ and reusable...so long as the plug and tranny are not gouged.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
The O ring did the trick for me on the plug, but I have not been able to seal those selector shafts very good over the years. What did you use Graham or where did you get them?

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thank you guys for the suggestions, not sure which one to try first. I like the o-ring idea but I'm afraid it will push out or worse into the overdrive. I was able to find a 3mm ring with a hardness of 35 on the hardness scale. This last effort was with a flat o-ring, or plumbing gasket but it was not hard enough. The paper also sound like a good idea if it were thick enough to compress some. I'm not familiar Vellumoid gasket material. I looked it up and the site I was on mentioned many different types for sale in large quantities. I only need a piece 3"X3". Thank you again for the ideas.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
sp53 do a search for quad rings and find Tom Mull Transmission oil leak which has all the details for quad rings.

Graham

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thank you guys for the suggestions, not sure which one to try first. I like the o-ring idea but I'm afraid it will push out or worse into the overdrive. I was able to find a 3mm ring with a hardness of 35 on the hardness scale. This last effort was with a flat o-ring, or plumbing gasket but it was not hard enough. The paper also sound like a good idea if it were thick enough to compress some. I'm not familiar Vellumoid gasket material. I looked it up and the site I was on mentioned many different types for sale in large quantities. I only need a piece 3"X3". Thank you again for the ideas.

The O-ring goes down past the threads on the plug. It would have to chew through all the threads to reach the OD innards.