Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Why do you want one? As I recall, they were made out of a rubberized material that left crap on your hands.Back in 1956, I replaced mine with - believe it or not - a doorknob. Why not put on a wood one? Much more attractive.
Hmm, guess it depends on the state of deterioration. TS13571L is wearing what I believe to be an original knob and it doesn't turn my hand black. If you look at John's photo, you can perhaps see on the sides where there was a hard layer on the outside that has oxidized away on the upper part.
Oddly enough, I actually prefer it to the wooden AMCO knob that I had on TS39781LO. For one thing, it is slightly shorter, so the edge of my hand doesn't rub across the bottom of the dash when shifting into 3rd gear. My old driving gloves had a gouge in them from the clip that anchors the in-line fuse to the bottom of the dash.
TRF sells a repro that's accurate. I prefer the narrow shape because I tend to grab around the stick versus putting my hand on top of the knob. So ymmv.
I bought a new wooden one at a car show and it was crap so I returned it to the vendor. Also bought a leather wrapped on and the threads loosened up so it wouldn't stay tight and I went back to the original. Lock nuts are hard to find as the TR3-3A threads are 7/16"-32tpi which also limits your choices for knobs.
I have an unused one that's "new in the box". I bought it several years ago for my restoration, but was given a nice wooden/leather one by a special friend, so I'm using that one. Send me a private message or email me at srreality45@gmail.com and I'll send you a picture of it. I don't remember what it cost, but wasn't much.
I do recall that the shift pattern wore off the knob in my '62 TR3B' but it has not done so in my current car. Might be due to a difference in my posture or driving habits from age 19 to 70.
I got one from TRF a while back. It's held up well and wasn't that expensive either as I remember. The nice thing with TRF is their parts are usually true to original.
I was able to find an NOS one several years ago to use once the car is restored. Also have the TRF unit. The only difference is in the script size and definition.
I don't like the aftermarket ones. Iliked the shape & feel of the original type, but was put off by the dull finish and the raised lettering. Then I came across the knob for an Austin America; Exact same shape & size as the TR3, but it has a gloss finish and the (identical) shift pattern is stamped so it could be painted.
Frank
If you are looking for the original screw on grip you may be looking for a long time,Ive never seen one for sale. I was lucky mine was still in great shape.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.