Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I know that there are flat and domed instrument glass. My question, though is, are they interchangeable? That is to say if I buy an instrument with flat glass, can I put a domed one in its place?
I'm quite confidant that it can be done. A few years age I converted a TR4 electric Temperature gauge to a TR3 appearing gauge by switching to the convex lens. As I recall I had a problem with a replacement convex lens I had ordered from one of the big suppliers, I think it was slightly too big. I ended up using the lens from an original TR3 gauge and it fit fine.
This is a great DIY project. The $$$ savings are a big motivation, but the parts,if needed are available and EXPENSIVE. I was recently quoted the following by a major instrument repair firm:
Instrument R&R
Tach & Speedo $160 each
Fuel Level , Amps & Oil Press $105
Water Temp $120
This did not include replacement glass or bezels.
Replacement glass/bezels for the Tach & Speedo are $39.95 each and the 52mm units are $12.95 each; bezel gasket kit a $16.95 (for the 6 gauge set.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.