• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3- installing gas tank = nightmare

hermanmaire

Jedi Hopeful
I could really use some pictures of the gas tank floor area, my car had some work done in that area and now I am having BIG trouble trying fit my tank. I have a bunch of pictures to better explain but cant seem to load them to site since there all larger than 100kb.

This is such a simple task- installing a gas tank , but nothing is fitting. Its as if my tank is sitting 2inches to high, I would not even be able to put the rubber filler tube on chrome filler cap part... theres just no room . HELP

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There are different tanks, and different floors, depending on your commission number. If you have the wrong tank for your car, it may really be sitting 2" too high.

When I did mine, I wound up cutting the rubber connector short enough that it would slide almost completely onto the tank neck with very little extending; and then once the tank was in place, slid it up onto the filler neck. I think the factory probably mated the neck to the tank first (on early cars with the two-piece neck) and then installed the whole mess from the front; but I was working through the trunk.

OP
H

hermanmaire

Jedi Hopeful
IMG_3414.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

OP
H

hermanmaire

Jedi Hopeful
IMG_3407.jpg

IMG_3409.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

OP
H

hermanmaire

Jedi Hopeful
the commision # is 2ts81322

is this the correct gas tank or was the wrong trunk floor welded in?? what I dont understand is that
the drain on the gas tank does not line up with ANY holes on the floor. Even the fuel feeder line does not line up with anything... I just have those large holes at the edges of the trunk floor .

OP
H

hermanmaire

Jedi Hopeful
I should also mention, I lost my cool and started hammering those mounts where the tank sits.... it didnt really help

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Looks like the wrong tank to me. The earlier ones had the outlet in the center; it later moved to one side. The mounts changed and the tank got smaller as well.

I think that's also the earlier filler neck; although AFAIK it will work on the later cars.

OP
H

hermanmaire

Jedi Hopeful
Don, I was looking at gas tanks last night and there appears to be 2 different gas tanks. Like Randall said the early gas tanks have the fuel feed in the middle ( what I have but no corresponding hole in the truck floor) and the later gas tank with the fuel feed on the sideof the gas tank closer to the wheel.

Looking more closely at you gas tank it does seem to be quite different from what I have.... where your top edge is rounded mine has a pretty sharp edge to it.

Please tell me your fuel feed is on the side of the gas tank and not in the middle..... Do you know of anybody in montreal that may have a gas tank or tr 3 parts?

OP
H

hermanmaire

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks again for posting the pictures.

One other question on your car. Does your windshield frame use plates where it bolts to the car or does the stanchions bolt directly to the body?

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Those photos are of the tank were taken on the late (TS 81551 L) green TR3A we finished for Frank in Toronto (near 401 and 400) in 2006. The fuel fitting on the bottom of that tank for the fuel line to the fuel pump comes out the bottom of the tank off-center. You can see the hole close to the rear arch on the LHS closest to the camera.

On my own very early 1958 black/red TR3A (TS 27489 LO), the fitting comes out the bottom in the center of the tank.

Attachments

• 18010.jpg
    18010.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 297
OP
H

hermanmaire

Jedi Hopeful
Don,

so its confirmed, I have a early tank.... I would have never thought they had different tanks for TR3's.

Do you have or know of anybody in Montreal with a late model tank for sale ?? how about anybody near montreal for tr3 parts?

Thanks again

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Herman
ebay This might help.

Paul

OP
H

hermanmaire

Jedi Hopeful
apbos said:
Herman
ebay This might help.

Paul

Thanks paul.... I tracked them down last night and I am waiting for a price on shipping. Thanks again

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Herman,

If all else fails, I have a tank that you may want to take a look at....it was refurbished about 2 years ago by Gas tank Renu in Rexdale Ontario....It is in pretty good shape except there will need to be a repair made to the bottom of the tank where the fuel exits the tank. The parts car I have was involved in an accident and during this the hard fuel line moved and the tank didn't.

I am in Toronto BTW. Don knows me. Let me know and I will send some pics.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

OP
H

hermanmaire

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for the reply. I sent you a PM . please let me know.

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
if you end up with a new tank (for your late model TR3A) and want to sell your early model TR3A tank send me a PM or email. I am in Ottawa and will be needing to "refurbish" my tank later this summer.