• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Hard Top

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
All:

I have a TR3B. I'm interested in purchasing a hardtop, but never see them on Ebay or offered for sale. Are these hard to come by? Is there an aftermarket version available?

Please let me know your thoughts,

Mike Pennell

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
They actually come up frequently on EBay. The only problem is everyone I've seen is listed as "local pickup only".

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
All:
...Is there an aftermarket version available?

Smoothline makes an aftermarket version out of fiberglass, but I personally don't think it is as attractive as the original. There rear windscreen on the original wraps around the sides slightly (it doesn't on the Smoothline), and the original's shape just seems to be more elegant. I passed on a real deal for a used perfectly good Smoothline because of the way they look.

Here's a link to their site...BTW, the one they make for the TR4/TR6 is really nice looking...

https://www.smoothline.com/triumph.php

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well Mike probably not many inAfghanistan. I drove from Seattle to San Francisco to buy one for 100 bucks.Fun trip and took my son along for the ride. Last month a supper nice one poppedup in the Seattle area out of an old farm on the Olympic peninsula. It came offa 1956 with low miles, a bran find deal. The new owner sold the hard top andthe old wirer wheels. I bought the wheels and would have bought the top, but hesold to it someone down south of here, so they do come up.

OP
M

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks, guys. I'm back from my Middle Eastern travels, so now I have time to spend on the Triumph. Do you generally search Ebay under "TR3 Hard top" or is there another, better search term? Also, what is the general market price for a hard top?

I'm looking forward to working on the car. I can say this: When it rain it leaks like a sieve. I think it might be missing some under hood plugs. I bought this car while I was stationed in mexico, so have had a total of about 6 weeks with the car stateside of the past three years so while the car runs and looks great, it needs a number of small issues addressed.

Mike Pennell

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You have to make searching ebay a regular thing to find them...they do eventually pop up. The prices I have seen start at $200 for a ragged out shell with no rear window to $1200 for a restored/ready to go top. Many more are in the former shape.

The hard top may help the leaks a bit, but these cars tend to be a little "wet" no matter what you do to shore up the holes.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...When it rain it leaks like a sieve...

That is not right. It should leak like a colander. Or possibly a submarine that's been hit.

On eBay you can craft a fairly complex search that includes a variety of terms such as TR2 TR3 TR3A as well as 'hard top' and 'hardtop'. Once you feel you have a thorough search argument in place you can save it as a 'followed search' and also have eBay send you an email each time a new listing pops up.

Good luck. Most of the ones I recall seeing were pretty needy so you might as well get familiar with what is available in the way of parts and what those cost.