• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Tr3 front suspension

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Well I've started my rebuild on the suspension. Things have been fairly straight forward so far. But, I've run into a snag. I've got the spring compressor on and all of the attaching bolts off of the spring pan and the spring doesn't want to drop out. Here are some picks of where I am now. What am I missing?
frontsuspension029.jpg

frontsuspension027.jpg

frontsuspension030.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Looks to me like you are ready to start loosening the compressor. Have you tried that?

After you've lowered the pan enough to get it off the studs in the back, you may need to pull outwards so it will come down past the frame. But it's got to come off the studs first. Lifting the trunnion and arms up may help too.

This shot was taken after I had loosened the compressor slightly

DSCF0031crop.jpg

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Agree, and sometimes, you need to give the rear of the spring pan a little help to get it off the two studs. As you release the tensions on the spring, I usually give the rear of the spring pan some taps with a rubber mallet.

Cheers,
David

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
OK so in a previous thread I was told that the whole thing comes out as one piece. So how far do I need to release the tension. I can raise the wish bone up and down easily so I thought that it would just come out.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Eric,

As you loosen the nut on the compressor it is slowly releases the tension/energy in the spring until it is at is full uncompressed length. Make sure that the spring pan does come off the studs on the bottom and is not binding on anything. Then loosen the nut fully and remove the plate from the bottom of the spring pan follow by the pan itself and the spring.

Cheers,
David

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Right. You're going to actually disassemble the spring compressor before removing the spring, spring pan and spacer. Once all that is out of the way, you can start disassembling the arms & vertical link.

DSCF0034.jpg

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
This works better with the trunnion raised closer to level and a pry bar as you release the spring tension by loosening the nut. The pan tends to wedge on the inner studs and needs help dropping down and away . Kevin

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry, late to the game here - you need to support the trunnion assembly separately as mentioned. It helps to raise it a little, and pry gently as you release the spring tension. If you don't, it lowers the same time as the spring unwinds and will eventually bind up.

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Thanks guys I think I've got it.
frontsuspension034.jpg

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
So can any one tell me why someone would weld what I assume are nuts securing the upper fulcrum pin? Yes those are probably 20+ year old welding rods still stuck to the bottom of the nuts. This shot is looking up the inside of the piece that the shock absorber packing piece rests on.

frontsuspension038.jpg

frontsuspension039.jpg

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Ya agreed I can't see why or what would be accomplished by welding the nuts. I would have been very difficult to reach and appears that the welder just buried the stick into the end of the bolt and left the rod attached. Anyway the upper fulcrum pin appears to be in fine shape and it might be in my best interest to leave it in place.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Welding a rod to a bolt is sometimes used to loosen a stubborn bolt. Notice that one rod is bent at the end.

I have only heard of the rod being attached to the bolt head, but maybe there is insufficient clearance on top. This could be a failed attempt to remove the upper inner fulcrum bolts, and the PO just left the rods in place.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Might have used the rods as heat source to try and free a bolt?

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Well he didn't achieve any thing but to completely weld the nut to the bolt. Don't really want to but suppose I should find a way to remove it.