• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Tr3 Door Cap

mountainman

Jedi Trainee
I have been looking on Ebay for the driver's side door capping for several months. There is a long door complete with the capping I need on Ebay now. The door looks to be shot, but the capping is there. Will this capping fit my 1959 TR3?????? Only one day left on the listing $40.00 plus shipping.
Thanks
Greg

Mkutz

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'm not connected to the company, but I know TRF sells a complete door capping kit to include the frame, foam core, and other parts. It probably doesn't include the vinyl/leather covering, but you'll probably be replacing that anyway for all your cappings. I'd stay away from the long door -- if it is rotted out there stands a good chance that the capping will be too. I've bought and taken some doors apart in the past, and noticeded that the back section of the door capping has been all rusted out and pretty much unusable. I don't know if a TR2 capping would fit a TR3 -- my sense is it probably would be pretty close.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The door cappings changed when the TR3A was introduced. The earlier cappings had fabric over the ends, no provision for the metal button that the later ones used to finish the ends. But it will fit otherwise (assuming your car is before TS60000 in late 59).

Let me look through my stash later today; I'm sure I've got a 3A capping base (no rubber, buttons or covering) and we can probably work out a deal for less than the shipping on that complete door
grin.gif

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
The door cappings changed when the TR3A was introduced. The earlier cappings had fabric over the ends, no provision for the metal button that the later ones used to finish the ends. But it will fit otherwise (assuming your car is before TS60000 in late 59)...

I used the door cappings from TS23677 on a post 60k body (door) without a problem. Are they NOT SUPPOSED to fit?? :confuse:

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Randall's deal sounds best - but as a second recommended option I agree with the TRF thought- I bought their kit a while back and the metal plate is good quality in my opinion. I've also seen too many cappings on doors rotted towards the back.

randy

OP
mountainman

mountainman

Jedi Trainee
Hey Randall, I sure would appreciate if you could find one.I hate to pay close to $100 for something that you won't ever see once it's covered. The driver side door capping is the only thing holding me back from getting the interior done.
Thanks
Greg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
martx-5 said:
I used the door cappings from TS23677 on a post 60k body (door) without a problem. Are they NOT SUPPOSED to fit?? :confuse:
That, I don't know. I have had very little to do with post-60K cars. My disclaimer only reflected the fact that the parts book shows a change at that point, and I don't know why. But the construction of the door did change (pre-60K doors had wood in the top, post-60K were all steel), so I assume there is some difference in width or something. OTOH if they work for you, I wouldn't worry about it.