• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A tr3 dog leg replacement on pre-60k

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So my new dog legs will bolt nicely to my rear fender (wing) (which also bolts nicely to the car). I have a pre 60k car, and I knew the outer rockers wouldn't exactly match the car, and possibly the dog legs would differ. But since both the dog legs and rockers are for a post 60k, I assumed they would fit together. The folded over lip on the rear end of rocker will not fit into the new (or old) dog leg. The dog leg has a cut-out on the side much larger than the pre-60k (existing) one. The B post seems to be spot welded to the dog leg at the edge of both panels. Does anyone have any advice for me with this repair? I don't want to cut off the dog leg until I'm sure I'm taking it off at the proper place, and can get the new one back on. Perhaps I should consider making patch panels from the new one? I plan to put the tub back on the frame and check the fit before welding anything.

Attachments

• 25618.jpg
    25618.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 392
  • 25619.jpg
    25619.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 370
  • 25620.jpg
    25620.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 381

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Yep. I bought the very same replacement sill and quarter. They were both just starting points for a LOT of bending. You have to study them and decide where to adjust by beating/bending. Of all the panels I replaced, the quarter by far took the most work to fit right. It took a bit of trimming on the edges too, to match the B-post and sill.

I can only recommend going slow and stepping back frequently to plan the best way to go. Don't do any welding till you are satisfied with the fit. A lot of work, but it is worth it...

John

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If the only problem area with the dog leg is the lower part I would do just the patch. I did not have to do any repair in this area of my car so I can't tell you how it should be done. Removing the whole dog leg can open a large can of worms. Also the lines on the replacement panels are not as sharp as the originals. Which means more hammer work before you weld them to the car. Are you going to replace the inner sill before you remove the dog leg panel? If that sill is only rusted in the area shown you could cut that out and weld in new metal.

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
mallard said:
If that sill is only rusted in the area shown you could cut that out and weld in new metal.

So, if I were to 'patch' the rusted through areas, I suppose I should have the same thickness metal. The fender well is one gauge, the dog leg is another gauge, the inner and outer sills are other gauges. How important is it that the repairs are done with the same thickness metal? Obviously, the sill is thicker for support, but how much is required and will it be more difficult to seam differing thicknesses together?

Lately, I've spent more time looking and thinking, than doing.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
From a technical standpoint, it will not make any difference. And once repaired repaired, nobody will be able to tell the thickness of the panels.

I ordered 5 different floor pans when I was doing my body. They arrived in 4 different thicknesses! I found you have to work with what you can get with these old cars.

John