• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 coil spring height

jdavis

Country flag
So, I'm building up the suspension on my '59 project. I'm at the point of putting in the coil springs. The coil spring is 10.25" and the aluminum packing adds 1.25" It seemed really tight going in, and the spring seems a bit bowed after installed. I did some reading, and now I understand that that there are two different Springs available. Apparently I have the "tall" ones. I also understand that there may be two different size packings. My question is, Do I just omit the packing all together? I can't seem to find a source for the shorter packing. I have some shorter springs, but they look pretty tired.
Thanks
Joe

CJD

Yoda
Country flag

Bowed like this? This is normal. If you think about it, the top of the spring is always level, and the bottom has to be tilted to the angle of the A-arm, so with no weight on the car the spring will always be bowed. It should be almost straight once the weight is on the car and the arm is also level.

I really don't know anything about different length springs in the TR3's, but I know from suspensions in general that if you have a longer and a shorter spring which are both designed for the same application, the shorter spring will have a higher spring rate. I.e. stiffer ride. The longer spring, likewise, will have a softer ride and must be compressed more to hold the car at the same height...thus the longer length.

I would not leave the spacers out unless you are using a known modified spring and you are sure it requires them to be removed.

OP
J

jdavis

Country flag
Thanks John, for the reply I've done some research. It sounds like the stock TR3 spring is 9 3/4" tall and used with a 1 1/4 inch spacer (total height 11") The "tall" spring advertised by Moss, etc... is 11" I have 10 1/4 springs. The only reference I can find is at Englishparts.com. They describe a 10 1/4 312 lb. spring for TR4a-TR6 They imply that this spring can be used for TR2-TR4 as well, but don't specify with or without the 1 1/4" aluminum spacer. I assume that if I use this 10 1/4 spring I should NOT use the spacer? Any suggestions?
Joe

OP
J

jdavis

Country flag
I had a revelation. When I restored my TR6 I put Good parts lowered springs all around the car. I was worried that the ride height might be too low, so I bought 1/2" spacers. I found the spacers in the spares bin. This, with the 10 1/4 coils brings the total height to 10 3/4"!
Joe

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
It's really pretty complicated when you're dealing with suspension dynamics. It's not just the free length, but also the rate of the spring. If they are both from Moss, you may want to talk to their tech guys to see what they know about the springs. They should have an idea of what each one will do for ride height and stiffness, both with and without spacers.