• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR2 TR3 oil cap decal

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Anybody have this cap with this label? I want to reproduce this but I need a better picture that shows all the detail. I just purchased the correct cap for my car and don't want to destroy what's left of the decal until I can come up with a good scan of an original.

Thanks
Keith

Attachments

• GetAttachment[1].jpg
    GetAttachment[1].jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 1C1[1].jpg
    1C1[1].jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 151

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Available from Moss and TRF. Got mine from TRF.

Dick

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not seen that one before Keith. A Google search didn't help either, but I expect you tried that too. Would be interested to see what an original looks like as well. Cheers, Mike

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Keith, that is a VERY DIFFERENT looking decal AND cap than any that I have ever on a Triumph. I have seen a few original ones but never any like those.
Charley

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The only original photos I've seen are in the Brooklands TR2& TR3 and Road&Track Triumph Sports Cars books that have the original road test articles.
Brooklands page# 87-72
Road&track page#18
The Brooklands page 87 clearly shows the decal I'm looking for, but it's very small and you can't see the detail.
This decal seems to have had a very short run between 1956 and 1957.
Most people I've been in contact with have never even seen the style cap I was looking for.

Thank you for any help If I can have this reproduced I will make them available at my cost to anybody that wants one.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Neat item Keith-

just curious but the cap looks like it says 'front' - can you see some difference that makes the orientation important?

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Look close at the second picture and you can see two vent holes, this cap has no holes on the bottom other than the large one that goes over the stand-pipe on the rocker cover.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Ah now I see, I didn't pick that up earlier on my little IPhone. Interesting item!

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Keith,

I too never saw a "Cap & or Sticker" like that for a "TR2 / TR3"?

If there`anyone who could re-produce it; It would be "Dave Townsend" who is making the "Triumph, Jag etc" artists portraits & Decals. He`ll probably chime in here real soon.

Merry X`mas.

Russ

Anybody have this cap with this label? I want to reproduce this but I need a better picture that shows all the detail. I just purchased the correct cap for my car and don't want to destroy what's left of the decal until I can come up with a good scan of an original.

Thanks
Keith

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I sent an email off the other day to see if he had anymore and are waiting for his reply. I was looking for another one just to see if I could get anymore detail off the decal. I'll let you now if he has more and his contact information.

carpecursusII

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have some new and significant information with regards to this cap. I was in the presence of a very much unrestored TR2, TS30xx. Its been sitting since at least 1990 and it is very obvious that not much has been touched. The cap that was installed on this car was large, bigger than a standard tr3 cap and had the slots in the lower front. It also had the circular decal as described by the Piggot book and sold by the big 3. I will add pictures asap.

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It looks like there are a lot more caps that were used than previously thought. If you look at the bottom of the cap does it have screws holding it together? I've heard the very first TR2s had that cap. I have a NOS cap of the same shape that was in it's unopened original package with the correct Stanpart part number in it, but it is silkscreened with the arrow on it. I would guess that the decal on your cap is actually silkscreened. If you compare my picture to yours you can see the shape of the cap is different, yours has a smaller center circle. I'm close to having all the information that I need to reproduce the decal for the used cap that I have. The used cap that I have is the one you see in Bill's books and most illustrations. Nice find you should take as many pictures of that car as possible for yourself and others. Original cars no matter what the condition offer tons of forgotten information.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Here is a photo of my original oil filler cap that was on my 1958 TR3A when I bought it new. It was used on cars shipped to Canada and I also heard a rumour it was shipped in TR kits for assembly in Australia.

I have also attached a photo of the cap shipped on TRs to USA - with the 3 dimples.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Worth consideration...although in 1990 the car was already 35 years old, and the cap is in noticeably better condition than the rest of the engine bay?!?